Remember Chelmsford Street/Woodbourn Road

Thanks for the photo of the School. It looks a lot cleaner than my day!

What is it used for these days, do you know?

I have heard it is used as a Mosque or even has an Indian restaurant in it but that part doesn't appear that way.

Cheers,

Mike Fisher

It's now a community centre, called the PMC:- Pakistani-Muslim Enterprise Centre, and has a Mosque built onto the school down by the junction of Jessel St, and at the top end, by Cottingham Street is an extension that was built to house a restaurant.

(I think the intent was to give people training in being chefs and waiters/ hospitality so that they could set their own businesses up eventually)

I cannot remember what it is now called, but when I and the ex-mr PT used to go in, it was called "Taste of Pakistan", and the food was very nice, and quite inexpensive.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi I lived at 57 westbury street until 1950, do you have a photo of the street?

I have a photo of the Dday party,but have been trying to get a photo of the street.

Hi Babsy,

Obviously I am suffering from old age and can not remember which was Westbury street, was it the one above Cotitngham street? If so I was also at the D day party, my parents had the greengrocer at 157 Worthing Rd and later151.

• 3 months later...

Hi i'm trying to find my biological father. All I know about him is that he was called either Robert Bellaby or Robert Bellamy. Some confusion about how his last name was pronounced. If anyone who lived on woodburn road has any information they think would be useful then please reply. It would have been about 37ish years ok. Thanks for taking time to read this.:)

Hi All, Any memories of Chelmsford Street would be great, I used to spend a lot of time in the 60s staying with my aunt and uncle, Bill and Alice Crossley. Cant remember the number but recall Susan Mauson, Mrs Sellers, Mrs Mc Veigh, Mrs Parramore.Thanks Penny.

Hi Babsy,

Obviously I am suffering from old age and can not remember which was Westbury street, was it the one above Cotitngham street? If so I was also at the D day party, my parents had the greengrocer at 157 Worthing Rd and later151.

the streets were as follows Ripon street.Woodbourne road.Chelmsford street.Cottigham street.Westbury street.Selbourne street.Fearnehough street and then Broad oaks.Ta da.

• 1 month later...

Hi was just wondering if anyone can remember Robert bellamy/bellaby not sure on surname. or Irene Bottomley (she lived with him for a short period)

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 13:28 ----------

Meant to put as far as i know Bellaby/Bellamy lived on woodburn Road. Thanks

• 3 months later...
Hi folks,

I used to live on Chelmsford Street at 136 and attend Woodbourn Road School which is now a Mosque I believe. Can anyone point me to photographs of either the School or Chelmsford Street please?

Additionally, close by on Woodbourn Road there was a Fishmongers near the junction with Worthing Road , this same junction having a fairly large shop which sold everything in the food line as I recall and stretched around the corner it was on.

I am particularly interested in the Fishmongers as grandparents used to live nearby and would like to know it's name and street number if possible. I assume it is no longer present? Any photographs of shops around this junction would also be very welcome to add to the family history. I do know that Chelmsford Street was demolished when the new sports centre was built in that area.

All the best from an ex-Sheffielder now in Toronto, Canada soon to revisit briefly in Sheffield and Rotherham.

regards,

Mike Fisher

Hi I am new on this site so I hope you can read this reply ok

I lived on Chelmsford St at 131 next door to Bob & Jessie Mellor's

They had 2 Boys Robert & Derek also I can remember Derek Burditt who my

younger brother went about with

George Biggs who I worked with at Sanderson & Newbold who lived 8 doors away.

My Sister Shirley would baby sit for Ernis & Audery Shaw who had the corner shop down towards Staniforth RD

I left in 1957 when I Married but my family stayed until about 1970

Great place to live in those days

Hi All, Any memories of Chelmsford Street would be great, I used to spend a lot of time in the 60s staying with my aunt and uncle, Bill and Alice Crossley. Cant remember the number but recall Susan Mauson, Mrs Sellers, Mrs Mc Veigh, Mrs Parramore.Thanks Penny.
Hi.I knew the mcveighs they lived just up from us on chelmsford st.I went to woodbourn rd school with John and his sisters were christine and sara i think:)

Archived