Page Hall Shops - History

Firth Park W.M.C. Idsworth road is still going or it was before Covid struck. They were struggling to keep afloat but just managing to do so , apparently the club will open again in May. I am a life/free member of the club and I joined in 1965.

4 hours ago, lakerman said:

Firth Park W.M.C. Idsworth road is still going or it was before Covid struck. They were struggling to keep afloat but just managing to do so , apparently the club will open again in May. I am a life/free member of the club and I joined in 1965.

Do you know Gary Spooner?  I went to school with him and since being old enough to join the club he has been a regular, as was his father.

5 hours ago, kidneystone said:

Do you know Gary Spooner?  I went to school with him and since being old enough to join the club he has been a regular, as was his father.

Yes I know Gary well. We played in the same snooker team for F.P.W.M.C. for a few years. I still see him now and again, he's still the same kind of bloke as he always was. Also see his brother Mick as well. His dad Sam was on the committee for years.

16 hours ago, lakerman said:

Hi Paul, Did you have the nickname of Carrots? I remember someone from that address who I believe emigrated to Canada. This could have been your father? My name is Rod Sockett.

Hi Lakerman Spot on my nickname was Carrots probably because of my ginger hair.My father Peter emigrated to Canada but he used to be on the committee at Firth Park Club.He would sit in his little box and introduce the acts.Where did you live?

9 hours ago, Idsworth456 said:

Hi Lakerman Spot on my nickname was Carrots probably because of my ginger hair.My father Peter emigrated to Canada but he used to be on the committee at Firth Park Club.He would sit in his little box and introduce the acts.Where did you live?

Hi Paul, I lived on Barnsley Road , just round the corner from Idsworth road. Before I was married I lived on Bolsover Road. My wife lived on Idsworth Road at no 57. She tells me that her mum and dad bought that house from your grandmother who then bought a house at the bottom of Idsworth Road. I remember your dad being on the committee at the club. If my memory serves me right I remember you playing football for British Rail on Sunday mornings. The home games were played at Orgreave. I also played the odd game for them. Dennis Goodison was responsible for me playing for them as I believe he also got you to play.  as far as I know,  none of us worked for British Rail but nobody cared. I still see Dennis, he lives quite near to me at Sheffield Lane Top. 

12 hours ago, Bowls said:

Did there used to be a fruit and veg shop with a stall outside when we went to firth park library we helped ourselves to some fruit on the way up 

I don't remember it in 50's or 60's