How many Expats would move back to Sheffield

All I can say to that hillsbro, is thank goodness, who would want to spend a few weeks in a resort, I for one have paradise on the doorstep, and it's free.
Of course - see my post, which you edited....

Of course - see my post, which you edited....

I have a brother who lives at Cleveleys, he goes to Europe each year for his holidays, he wishes he had moved here with us now, so does my other brother who lives on the border of Yorkshire & Derbyshire, we had a lot of trouble trying to get them both back on the plane after they had seen this place.

I visited Blackpool in 1990, I couldn't see the sea from the sea wall because of the fog, that 3 weeks in the UK settled me for life, I know which side my bread is buttered now.

Well, if emigrant Sheffielders are happy where they are - whether it be Blackpool, Brunei or Ballarat - good luck to them. I share with them the lack of any desire to move back to Sheffield, though I'm only 60 miles away.

It's noticeable that these threads soon develop into expats in Oz telling us all what a wonderful country they live in - as if they feel a need to prove to people that they made the right decision to emigrate there. Oz is certainly a fine country to live in, but what people want depends on their lifestyle and preferences, and it doesn't suit everyone.

In my 60 years I've visited God-knows-how-many countries and lived in four. I can, I think, take a broader view than the average man in the street. And if I had to place countries in order of their desirability as a place to live, both Britain and Australia would be high on the list. One difference between the two is that in the UK (and especially in Sheffield) we have beautiful countryside on our doorstep - and we also have easy, cheap access to a wealth of different countries, cultures, cuisines and climates, which begin just 35 km from our shores.

One difference between the two is that in the UK (and especially in Sheffield) we have beautiful countryside on our doorstep.

This is the main road at the top of our street, very similar to England.

100_1005.jpg

we also have easy, cheap access to a wealth of different cultures, cuisines and climates, which begin just 35 km from our shores.

We only have to go to Sydney for that, an hour and a half in the car. :hihi:

This is the main road at the top of our street, very similar to England.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/skippy_63/100_1005.jpg

Yes indeed - take away the gum tree and it could almost be Devon, Durham or Dorset:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Choppedthegumdown-2.jpg

... and the locals even drive on the left: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Addedamotorbike.jpg