Why should I drink real ale?

Tony

You don't wanna be drinking ale, tastes like someone has dug a hole, filled it with water and drunk the resulting muddy water. You're better off drinking anything else, even actual ****...

Also, what's with all the carling bashing!? a nice pint of carling can taste beautiful. I think it's because as you get older the bubbles in lager start to burn your tongue and the temperature hurts your sensitive teeth. Could explain why the older gentlemen tend to go for ale over lager...

Ah you may have experienced a pint of less than perfectly kept ale at some dodgy establishment which has tarred your image of real ale....this is all too common unfortunately......a well kept ale served at the correct temperature in a clean glass that is in the prime of its taste development following secondary fermentation in the cask is like a beautiful relationship with a gorgeous woman....just simply YUMMY!!!!

And can I point out that plenty of 18+ year olds drink real ale, most real ale pubs are full of younger drinkers, and CAMRA memberships are really growing with younger memberships these days....you have the 'old men' image of real ale, something that really is totally dated and no longer valid....and of course real ale drinkers are more fertile and enjoy more satisfying relationships, something I am personally researching in depth at the present time:)

Carling, well I do admit I did used to drink this in the past, when it was called Carling Black Label and actually had a real taste to it....current Carling though does not do it for me regarding TASTE....and I have amazingly acute sense of taste...that is why I drink so much 'muddy water' :D

You don't wanna be drinking ale, tastes like someone has dug a hole, filled it with water and drunk the resulting muddy water. You're better off drinking anything else, even actual ****...

Also, what's with all the carling bashing!? a nice pint of carling can taste beautiful. I think it's because as you get older the bubbles in lager start to burn your tongue and the temperature hurts your sensitive teeth. Could explain why the older gentlemen tend to go for ale over lager...

A nice pint of Carling? Surely that's an oxymoron? It's known as cooking lager for a reason, you know.

One of my mates (who's German so knows a thing or two about quality lager) reckons the measure of a decent pint of lager is one that tastes the same when it's warm. Try that with Stella, Carling, 1664 et al. Grim. Then try the same thing with Warsteiner, Bitburger, Kolsch etc etc. Still tasty.

A nice pint of Carling? Surely that's an oxymoron? It's known as cooking lager for a reason, you know.

One of my mates (who's German so knows a thing or two about quality lager) reckons the measure of a decent pint of lager is one that tastes the same when it's warm. Try that with Stella, Carling, 1664 et al. Grim. Then try the same thing with Warsteiner, Bitburger, Kolsch etc etc. Still tasty.

You cannot beat a quality pint of REAL lager.....its a pity cask lager has not caught on here, it seems to be popular in parts of Europe....now this has taste to get Carling and Stella running for their very lives!!!!

In fact I do hope to get a cask lager on draught myself....this is a good one

http://www.cainsbeers.com/index/articles_view.php?main_cat=1&cat_id=56&article_id=213&logger_name=Cains%20Finest%20Cask%20Lager

"Few British beer drinkers know how good lager can be, as most mass brands produced in Britain have nothing in common with classic lagers brewed in the Czech Republic and Germany. Cains' Lager is properly stored or 'lagered' for three months. It is this cold maturation that gives a true lager its smoothness and drinkability."

I think if I were you I would look for a different local.

Young folk tend to drink lager because the bubbles remind them of the fizzy lemonade that they drank before they started going to the pubs.

You might have notice that Carling and other mass produced lagers are heavily advertised on TV. They tell you about those wonderful virtues such as cold or extra cold. It is a well known fact that cold (or extra cold) masks the lack of taste in the stuff. A bit like salt masks the lack of meat in a burger.

Agree with you, beer.

Also, for the uninitiated, a night on the real stuff can get some of these Stella lovers in a right tangle.

"I drink Stella me, I can handle anything! Usually have 8 pints a night so this poncy real ale stuff won't affect me!"

Then, even on a beer of something like 4.2% strength they start slurring their words on pint number 4 and it's all rapidly downhill from thereon.

Watch Mr 8 Pints Of Stella handle a bottle of Old Tom. He wouldn't know what's hit him - and he'd wonder what that taste was in his mouth!!

You might have notice that Carling and other mass produced lagers are heavily advertised on TV. They tell you about those wonderful virtues such as cold or extra cold. It is a well known fact that cold (or extra cold) masks the lack of taste in the stuff. A bit like salt masks the lack of meat in a burger.

Yep - like the chilled pumps they use with the condensation running down the side. Would you drink chilled urine? That won't taste of much, either...

You cannot beat a quality pint of REAL lager.....its a pity cask lager has not caught on here, it seems to be popular in parts of Europe....now this has taste to get Carling and Stella running for their very lives!!!!

In fact I do hope to get a cask lager on draught myself....this is a good one

http://www.cainsbeers.com/index/articles_view.php?main_cat=1&cat_id=56&article_id=213&logger_name=Cains%20Finest%20Cask%20Lager

"Few British beer drinkers know how good lager can be, as most mass brands produced in Britain have nothing in common with classic lagers brewed in the Czech Republic and Germany. Cains' Lager is properly stored or 'lagered' for three months. It is this cold maturation that gives a true lager its smoothness and drinkability."

Too true. What masquerades as lager in the UK wouldn't be given bar space in mainland Europe (except France). The Uk has its own crappy tasteless version of lager, which largely originated in America rather than anywhere with a brewing tradition. For years even Heineken produced a watery 3.7% lager for the UK.

I love real ales and I'm neither old- well that's debatable, or a man! They are far superior to those fizzy drinks you seem to think are so good:loopy:

I dunno, i'm still not convinced, too this day every ale i've tried with the exception of discovery, which may not even be an ale, has tasted like *ss. Anyone got any ales for a complete novice and lager lover, maybe then i'll be persuaded to go for the good stuff.

Come down to the Dove and sample some fine ales.....you will be converted...we have converted many people in fact...lager sales are down and ale sales well up....

Archived