Why should I drink real ale?

Tony

Real Ale sales are massively on the increase. More and more quality pubs are stocking this traditional and very English original product. The way forward is real ale, cask lagers included, and also cider, which is enjoying a real renaissance.....both bottled and cask ciders.

Sales of fizzy keg beer are on the decline, and keg lager sales are falling rapidly, so much so in fact I estimate in around 10 years, keg lager will be about as popular as it was in the early 1960's....ie, difficult to find and drunk only by 'ladies' in half pint glasses...

Lager as a macho 'mans' drink ,ie the 'Stella man' image, is on the way out....Careful analysis of sales figures over the last 17 months show a marked decline in extra cold keg lager. Evidence suggests less men are drinking keg lager and more women are taking to it, which is how it originally was marketed in the UK, lager was a 'ladies drink.' At one time up until around 1978 if a man asked for a lager in a traditional community estate pub heads would turn at the bar and he would be considered rather effeminate to say the least...real men were 'Tetley bittermen...' or a relevant equivalent...

Cheers thanks for that I am a female and object to the statemant that lager is for women:hihi:

I quite often partake of a nice real ale most of it in your own establishment not all women want to drink lager personally I cant stand the stuff.:gag:

Cheers thanks for that I am a female and object to the statemant that lager is for women:hihi:

I quite often partake of a nice real ale most of it in your own establishment not all women want to drink lager personally I cant stand the stuff.:gag:

Not my statement, just statistics indicate this trend, and lager did start out in the UK in the 1960's as very much a 'Ladies drink'. Men drank real ale....however when cask ale was phased out throughout the 60's and all but vanished around 1970, men started to drink lager as 'keg beer' in its early format was in my opinion, quite disgusting and as horrible as modern UK brewed lager.....a 1970's pint of Carling Black Label lager would bear no resemblance at all to the fizzy **** that is marketed as Carling today.....

Clever way to advertise your boozer . . . .

I must give it a go; I love real ale and noisy music!

Might be in town tomorra - where is it again? And what`s your best ale at the mo?

Our best Guest Ales at moment, BARNSTORMER is a fab ale, as is SPITFIRE, and STONES CASK is also very cool, OXFORD GOLD too......full range for the weekend as usual so check us out....

As a 25 year old bloke I associate Real Ale with getting old, as the (possibly unfair) stereotypical real ale drinkers are old men with beards. Im scared I'll like it. Its the same reason why I am terrified of classical music. What if I like it?!

You should just head down to Kelham island on a friday or saturday night, ideally with someone who's had a pint of real ale before, but failing that just ask the barman what's good.

There will be old men with flat caps in there, but there'll be a lot of younger people as well, and as a brilliant bonus you rarely find any chavs, louts or trouble in real ale pubs.

a brilliant bonus you rarely find any chavs, louts or trouble in real ale pubs.

very true. Chavs don't like bars loaded with handpulls as opposed to endless shiny lager fonts......

we have them from time to time stumbling in, looking over the bar, and grunting "wot no Stella???".....then leaving...

most amusing.....they would not know one end of a Black Sheep from the other!!!!

and God knows what they make of a Hobgoblin........

Archived