Is Latin a dead Language?

Latin has been slowly killed off by successive education secretaries as it's seen as a waste of time when kids could be learning business skills like MS Word. However those goons have missed the point; you don't learn Latin so you can read Virgil, you learn it because figuring out how all those ablatives, conjugations and passive periphrastic things fit together makes you smarter. If you make kids smart enough, they'll be able to press F1 all by themselves.

Plus Latin's capacity for insults is amazing.

Latin has been slowly killed off by successive education secretaries as it's seen as a waste of time when kids could be learning business skills like MS Word. However those goons have missed the point; you don't learn Latin so you can read Virgil, you learn it because figuring out how all those ablatives, conjugations and passive periphrastic things fit together makes you smarter. If you make kids smart enough, they'll be able to press F1 all by themselves.

Plus Latin's capacity for insults is amazing.

I agree :(

I think it's a crying shame that Latin is not really taught in school's these days. I understand a little but would love to know more.

Does one think it's to do with class? or is it a fact that working class see it as a waste of time and only for the likes of doctors etc.

I think it's a crying shame that Latin is not really taught in school's these days. I understand a little but would love to know more.

Does one think it's to do with class? or is it a fact that working class see it as a waste of time and only for the likes of doctors etc.

i did it in year 8 (age 13), that was 10 years ago. the teacher was fairly old, and retired before my sister got to the same school. they never replaced him.

Archived