Is Latin a dead Language?

The Sheffield University of the Third Age (SU3A) has 4 Latin groups and I am told they are very well supported, so if you are retired or semi retired and want to learn Latin or develop your Latin skills why not join them.

http://sheffieldu3a.org.uk/group_categories/languages.html#latinbeg

If you scroll that page you will find other language options that may tempt you to develop your skills or learn something totally different like Scottish Gaelic or Sanskrit.

A lot of Latin is still used today and many unlikely people have been Latin scholars,eg all of Status Quo,Ceteris Paribus who developed mass transit in France and Sem Perfides who was lead guitarist with Televison on their debut LP Marqueee Moon

vene, vidi, vici - I came, I saw, I conquered

Wasn't in top stream at school so I learned French, wasn't in bottom either though - they learned Spanish.

Pope is Polish but doesn't mean he hasn't learned Latin as in his day it was more a more commonplace language

Latin is the common language for the Cardinals from all countries and for the rituals and laws of the Catholic Church. Anyone rising up the ranks, whether from Poland (like the previous pope) or Germany (like the current pope) would have had to master Latin.

In many European Universities, Latin has been an entry requirement for certain subjects for many years.

Archived