Am I alone in not liking jazz?

Tony

Jazz  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Jazz

• Nice
    • Cast it into the flaming pit of eternal torture

What an ignorant post! Talentless? Are you comparing the talent of the jazz greats to your musical talent?

Typical!

They probably enjoy the mundane "talents" of Westlife or the easy listening of The Killers or summat. You know, artists who get by performing bland formulaic pop.

What an ignorant post! Talentless? Are you comparing the talent of the jazz greats to your musical talent?

To be fair the quote isn't mine its Tony Wilson's. But I have to say I agree with him. My own lack of musical talent has nothing to with my dislike of Jazz.

Those who know me understand that I have a near pathological hatred of jazz.

We won't go near bars or restaurants that have it on and if four middle aged blokes start playing different tunes simultaneously while other middle aged men tap their toes and nod their heads... well we have to leave quickly

Am I alone?

No you're not. My untrained ear just hears a cacophany of noise, and like snook says, "like a blues band falling down stairs" but still trying to play their instruments.

I had a couple of years working afternoons with radio Hallam blaring out this God forsaken racket on certain evenings. Oh! the bad old days :)(sorry Jane x)

i love jazz...i have loads on vinyl and cd

as has been said.jazz is a huuuuuge genre of mausic and spans from the 1900s (ragtime, scott joplin, the entertainer etc) right up to now and freenoise (which is big in sheffield at the minute i believe) where they take noise, metal, punk, techno etc and use a jazz style structure.

i haphazard a guess that the type of jazz moaned at here is the free / improvised jazz which can be classed as noise, but i love it...its great head**** music :D such as ornette coleman, sun ra, john zorn, pat methany etc.

jazz can be chilled tho...check out miles davis - kind of blue or sketches in spain...both excellent albums and so chilled out its unreal.

also you could go for some 1930s / 1940s / 1950s jazz - trad / be bop etc

stuff like duke ellingon, count basie, glenn miller CANNOT be classed as noisy :P

or a bit of billy holiday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs

this is a great jazz song and one of the finest anti racism songs ever.....very very sad and moving

It is understandable to me as to why people can be baffled by jazz. I am a jazz lover, and have sometimes played in a jazz band or even made straight music sound more jazz like to make it less bland.

As a musiscian I have frequently been bored by music which is the same as all other kinds of music, and Jazz often hits the spot with something extra which makes the world better again.

I would like to recommend Ken Clark's jazz greats programme which is currently on one lunchtime a week on BBC radio 4. He explains about the life and music of one of his jazz heroes. It is very informative and the Ex-Chancellor is a real expert.

We have had Billy Strayhorn, Bix Beiderbeck, Sonny Rollins, and many more.

I think jazz has a bad reputation, everyone seems to think of these scat singers or the fast show parody when jazz is mentioned, when jazz is as broad a spectrum as the term "rock", you have billy holiday, miles davies et all at one end of the spectrum to your likes of mahavishnu orchestra, then artists such as John Zorn, Mike Patton, Joey Baron,Shelley Hirsch etc. who are at the extreme edge of Jazz.

Archived