Am I alone in not liking jazz?

Tony

Jazz  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Jazz

• Nice
    • Cast it into the flaming pit of eternal torture

i love jazz...i have loads on vinyl and cd

i haphazard a guess that the type of jazz moaned at here is the free / improvised jazz which can be classed as noise, but i love it...its great head**** music :D such as ornette coleman, sun ra, john zorn, pat methany etc.

Glad someone mentioned Zorn, the guy is a genius, while some of his stuff is way out there and virtually unlistanable (a la some of the Cobra sessions), you have albums like The Gift, the Big Gundown and Taboo and Exile which are musical ecstasy.

To be honest the Free Jazz and John Zorn stuff mostly leaves me befuddled. But not all, as I said earlier I like the theme tunes (and Painkiller blows away the cob-webs :hihi: )

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue and In a Silent Way are my two favourite albums.

I really can't understand how anyone can ignore a whole genre of music, there is always stuff you will like and stuff you won't especially where the range of music classed as Jazz means there is something for everyone.

Jazz was the music my Mum went to see in the 50s as a teenager, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck etc.

....how can anyone not love Ella Fitzgerald's voice? Here with Louie Armstrong doing Summertime.

Those who know me understand that I have a near pathological hatred of jazz.

We won't go near bars or restaurants that have it on and if four middle aged blokes start playing different tunes simultaneously while other middle aged men tap their toes and nod their heads... well we have to leave quickly

Am I alone?

You're not alone per se, but you are fairly isolated among those who appreciate the finer things in life.

There are many kinds of jazz, from bland cocktail bar muzak, to thunderous jazz fusion as popularised by John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, with all kinds of wonderful music to be discovered inbetween.

Unless you're trolling, of course ;)

I quite like some jazz...perhaps being into making music makes it a bit more accessible...?

Not a huge fan of the dead fast, dissonant jumble that is free jazz, although always got time for a bit of Miles. Who cares if its a cliche? The bloke did some very cool tunes.

Billy Cobham is also a bit of a legend too. That man's got some bonkers drum skills.

I quite like some jazz...perhaps being into making music makes it a bit more accessible...?

Not a huge fan of the dead fast, dissonant jumble that is free jazz, although always got time for a bit of Miles. Who cares if its a cliche? The bloke did some very cool tunes.

Billy Cobham is also a bit of a legend too. That man's got some bonkers drum skills.

also as drummers go you cant beat gene krupa

i also have an album by charlie watts thats jazzy

also buddy miles started off playing in his fathers jazz band

its like any other kind of music, there's great jazz, and theres ok jazz, theres mediocre jazz and there's downright abysmal jazz. when any kind of music becomes less about communication and more about showing off how technically wizard you are, million note solos, noodling, scat, it just becomes musical onanism, you're not giving anyone pleasure but yourself.

I hate Jazz with a passion. I will up and go if somewhere starts playing that tripe. I HATE it!

And before anyone starts with the snooty stuff about me not appreciating atonality and anything other than the standard pop song format, you are wrong. I'm a fan of The Fall. :D

Archived