Looking for the Radcliffe/Metcalfe family

helenlr

Hi Everyone I need :help:

Even though I am not an expat but a decendant of one, I was advised to post a message on this forum to see if I can get any information on my family. I am looking for my family that lived in Walkley area of Sheffield and also had a butchers there up till 1930 at least. My great grandmother's name is Ann Radcliffe and she grew up at 2 Walkley Rd Walkley and her family owned a butcher shop at 4 Walkley Rd. The listing in the UK phone directory I have found for this business was in 1929 and 1930 is actually for maybe her brother because her father died in 1893. The last listing in the phone directories I found was around 1940-1942 and is just for Radcliffe 2 Walkley Rd.

Ann married George Federick Metcalfe and by the look from research someone has recently done for me, George (who was a Butcher too) had a butcher shop at 182 South St (by my grandfather's birth certificate, he was actually born in 1895 at this address so I gather they had a residence attached to the butcher shop). My great grandmother died in 1896 and eventually George remarried and he moved the family first to Ecclesall and then to Canada and later to Australia. My grandfather's name is Ralph Metcalfe and he had 1 brother named William Frederick Metcalfe, who actually stayed in Canada when the family moved to Australia and he also had a sister named Ann and by the looks of recent research maybe a brother named Lionel who both died as babies.

If anyone can give me any information about my 2 families or let me know how I maybe able to find living Radcliffe relatives I would greatly appreciate it as I don't think my family had any contact with their Radcliffe side of the family after leaving the UK and I would love to rectify this if possible and I know I have other family members that would love for this to happen too.

Thanks for any help I can get with this.

Regards

Helen :D

Wollongong NSW Australia

Archived