Chez Lahlou...Crookesmoor

Mongoose

Anyone been there? I stumbled across a reference to it by accident and realised that I pass by it every day without even noticing it. From the reviews etc I've found it seems to be fairly popular.. Thinking of making a reservation (do I need to anyone?) for a friend and me in a couple of weeks, any suggestions as to what to eat? :D

Anyone been there? I stumbled across a reference to it by accident and realised that I pass by it every day without even noticing it. From the reviews etc I've found it seems to be fairly popular.. Thinking of making a reservation (do I need to anyone?) for a friend and me in a couple of weeks, any suggestions as to what to eat? :D

Tell u something starve your self b fore u go

Get loads off food even the free nibbles filled me up

Very good tho

Tell u something starve your self b fore u go

Get loads off food even the free nibbles filled me up

Very good tho

I second that. I was "warned" in advance that I probably wouldn't need to bother ordering a starter and thank god I didn't - no sooner had we placed our order when an absolutely massive plate of complimentary chicken wings appeared on our table! Barely had enough room for my main course by the time it arrived which was itself a huge portion of food. It all tasted quite nice too, not the most amazing culinary experience I've ever had but certainly value for money.

We did book in advance and although it wasn't too busy when we went as mentioned the place itself is pretty small so even with just a few people in there it can feel like a bit of a squeeze.

• 1 month later...
I second that. I was "warned" in advance that I probably wouldn't need to bother ordering a starter and thank god I didn't - no sooner had we placed our order when an absolutely massive plate of complimentary chicken wings appeared on our table! Barely had enough room for my main course by the time it arrived which was itself a huge portion of food. It all tasted quite nice too, not the most amazing culinary experience I've ever had but certainly value for money.

We did book in advance and although it wasn't too busy when we went as mentioned the place itself is pretty small so even with just a few people in there it can feel like a bit of a squeeze.

On the culinary experience point, I'd say it's pretty flipping good! Admittedly, I have only been there once (we are returning shortly for our anniversary), but the fillet steak I ordered was one of, if not the best steak I've ever had, and I eat a lot of steak! I am looking forward to trying the Gibier de Bordelais, a fowl platter which contains 4 birds!

We made the mistake of ordering starters last time, and although they were delicious, we just couldn't finish the mains.

I eat an awful lot, but the amount of food you are given here is just incredible.

There are a few quirks which may not be to everyone's taste, such as the assortment of ornamental frogs, but I have only read one bad review about the place, and that was by someone who had booked for a party of 20 (I'm surprised the place even has 20 seats!), so I think that is partly the fault of the reviewer.

Space is the only other consideration, but although pokey, it does not significantly impinge on the experience.

Gallic magic :)

• 9 months later...

Archived