Prince naz is back?

pinched from barnsley star

Naz is backPRINCE Naseem Hamed is to make a ring comeback.

The Sheffield millionaire has confirmed a report that he is about to pull on the gloves again.

"It's absolutely right," the former WBO champion declared to The Star.

Hamed has been out of boxing since May 2002. He lost his ranking in the sport after 12 months of inactivity. But while it was assumed he had quit forever he has never declared he had retired.

This is not the first story of a comeback. This time though he stated: "I've not said anything publicly until now but I'm planning to fight again in the summer.

"We've not selected my opponent but the fight will take place in the Middle East and that's definite." Hamed will be 31 in February. Although he does not have a trainer, he has been working out regularly at his gym on Sheffield's Abbeydale Road.

First step to getting back to boxing is for the former world featherweight champion to renew his licence with the British Board of Boxing Control.

To do that he has to apply to the sport's Central Area Council. The council met at the weekend and so far Hamed has not been in touch with them.

Robert Smith, assistant general secretary of the BBBC said: "His application is likely to be a formality because of what he achieved in the sport. He'll have to have a physical, eye and blood tests and an MRI scan, like any other fighter."

Boxing in the Middle East could present a problem because the sport does not have a recognised governing body there.

"Chris Eubank did something similar in his career, he boxed in the Middle East and acted as his own promoter while the BBBC sanctioned the fight and supplied the officials," Smith explained.

"That's a long way down the road for Naz at this stage."

Hamed's brother and business manager Riath has, in the past like other family members, encouraged him to quit.

While his children, six-year-old Sami and four-year-old Adam, are now of school age and he is settled into a new home at Redmires, Hamed could feel the time is right to re-establish himself in the sport that transformed him into a sporting superstar.

His last fight was almost three years ago when he scored a points win over Manuel Calvo in London. Before that bout he suffered the only defeat of his career to Mexican Marco Antonio Barrera in Las Vegas in 2001.

In a professional career spanning just over a decade he fought 37 times, accumulating a multi-million pound fortune.

With all his property he's comfortably well off - why does he need to make a comeback? It's puzzling, especially considering the reports I read a while ago that he was having really bad trouble with his hands towards the end of his (last) career.

Would be good to see him in the ring though, even if he can only recapture a small part of his past glory.

Originally posted by ANGELUS

One word.. WHY?

The guy gave up after he lost and had his big mouth shut for him.

Maybe if he comes back he'll not be such a **** this time round.

Do you watch a lot of boxing? Because with respect, it sounds as if you don't. Humility just isn't a virtue in this sport. Boxers use the patter to put bums on seats - it's a business, and it's in their interests to build up the fights they're involved in. Nas was a master at that, and doesn't in any way deserve the stick he gets (mostly from the kind of people who would no doubt cheer him on when he appeared on the telly).

Originally posted by Greenback

Do you watch a lot of boxing? Because with respect, it sounds as if you don't. Humility just isn't a virtue in this sport. Boxers use the patter to put bums on seats - it's a business, and it's in their interests to build up the fights they're involved in. Nas was a master at that, and doesn't in any way deserve the stick he gets (mostly from the kind of people who would no doubt cheer him on when he appeared on the telly).

i prefer wrestling myself :love: the ROCK

i was brought up to believe boxing was a sport, all that jazz he does makes it more like a show, so i can see where the girls coming from

Originally posted by NatalieSheff

i prefer wrestling myself :love: the ROCK

i was brought up to believe boxing was a sport, all that jazz he does makes it more like a show, so i can see where the girls coming from

Boxing at the top level has always has a fair dose of razmattaz to it, but that doesn't mean you can't take it seriously as a sport. Just look back to the much-hyped 'Rumble in the Jungle' for a perfect mix of the two.

Originally posted by NatalieSheff

sorry ive got the rock on the brain now-cant concentrate.

see what you mean, im think float like a butterfly and that kinda talk. but then again, ali was the greatest, naz is a skinny little runt! oops! sorry!;)

The Rock says: "Nas was an exciting and under-rated boxer who sold himself and the sport very well. I wish him all the luck in the world for his comeback, but I fear the worst."

I reckon The Rock's got it spot-on. :)

Archived