St James church Norton - what happened to the graveyard?

Garlic

Every time I walk through the chuch yard when we walk down to Graves Park I wonder when the headstones were taken down and piled against the far wall, and why.Looks like it must have been done many years ago. The church yard is lovely but does look a bit odd without gravestones.I presume that the graves are still there even though they are un-marked.I'd be interested if anyone knows anything about this as it intrigues me.

Every time I walk through the chuch yard when we walk down to Graves Park I wonder when the headstones were taken down and piled against the far wall, and why.Looks like it must have been done many years ago. The church yard is lovely but does look a bit odd without gravestones.I presume that the graves are still there even though they are un-marked.I'd be interested if anyone knows anything about this as it intrigues me.

Most church yards have had the headstones taken down for health & safety reasons. Some kid was killed playing in a graveyard when headstone was pushed and fell on him. It costs too much to make them safe so they are taken down. I think that it is a shame as to provide a memorial in years gone by was very costly and there is now no marker where relatives are buried.

Archived