Martin Street Sheffield

gracie

This is probably a long shot ,but some of my ancestors lived on and around Martin Street & Jericho Street up to the late thirties

and i wondered if there was anyone out there who could tell me a little about that area during that time.My Gt Grandfather who was

called Harry Savage lived with his family at 106 Martin Street.

Any Takers Please ?.

This is probably a long shot ,but some of my ancestors lived on and around Martin Street & Jericho Street up to the late thirties

and i wondered if there was anyone out there who could tell me a little about that area during that time.My Gt Grandfather who was

called Harry Savage lived with his family at 106 Martin Street.

Any Takers Please ?.

Hello gracie , what a coincidence for both of us . I was brought up in Bromley Street , which was across the "Tip" from Martin Street ,and all of my ancestors were born and bred in that area. My G/Grandfather Sam Charles Crookes lived at 106 Martin Street from 1891 until his death in 1914 . Here is the 1901 census for "106"

Details found on Sam Charles Crookes in the 1901 census

106, Martin Street, WHERE

HEAD MARITAL STATUS AGE PROFESSION BORN

Crookes

Sam Charles married 42 scale cutter/cutler Sheffield

Harriet wife 49 Sutton-in-Ashfield

Ernest son 19 scale cutter Sheffield

Frank son 16 wire cutter Sheffield

Florence daughter 15 tailoress Sheffield

Herbert son 11 ( no entry ) Sheffield

Unfortunately I cannot tell you much about the area at that time , as I wasn't born until 1946 .All I can say is that it was a brilliant area then and i only have very fond memories of it until my wife and I moved from Bromley Street from our first house in 1967 with our first daughter.

hope this helps

David

Thanks Deecee that is a coincidence !, i am not sure when Harry moved in to 106, but he was kia in WW1 on 18.5.1915 and his address was given as 106 Martin Street. His wife Rose and kids John & Rose carried on living there until approx 1932 ish , when they moved to Shiregreen .Thank you for the info.

Archived