POMONA, Eccelsall Road

can anyone remember this place being opened back in the early 80's? I think it was opened somewhere around the same time as THE JOLLY BUFFER which was late 1981.....anyone know or is the Pomona a much older pub that was simply enlarged in the 80's? I am sure I remember something else being there in the late 70's but not sure what.....

Yes , there was an old Pomona which stood roughly on the same site as the present one. We didn't go in all that much as the Nursery Tavern was very popular then and there used to be two more pubs on Pomona Street , the Prince and the Rising Sun [i think !].

But ...the Pomona was generally popular. I think locals used it and then people on their home , early evening.As far as I can remember , it had a conservatoire [spelling ?] round the back.

I don't know when the original was built----probably late Victorian ?

I think the present Pomona opened around 1981 and it certainly replaced another pub with the same name which I'd guess was demolished for road widening. I've also seen somewhere on the internet The Rising Sun pub which was on Pomona Street but I can't tell you where I saw the photo. My aunt used to work in the area and says there were loads of back street boozers now sadly long gone.

I'd also guess that the current Pomona was constructed at the same time as Wickes which stood nearby, Wickes' car-park fronted onto Eccesall Road. That was demolished and the Portergate Building now stands there.

And the Pomona did have a conservatory. I believe it's still there only now made open-plan into the pub itself. It's an okay pub, nothing more, nothing less.

Originally posted by Ousetunes

I've also seen somewhere on the internet The Rising Sun pub which was on Pomona Street but I can't tell you where I saw the photo.

That's on picturesheffield too. Put 'pomona' into your search and it will come up.

The old Pomona was a cracking pub.

Separate rooms, lots of wood panelling and I think it served Home ales from Nottingham. It had a great feel about it.

I'm sure a picture of it once appeared in the NME with a line of blokes mooning in front of it.

There were also some other pubs in the area, such as The New Inn and the Earl Grey.

Does anyone remember them?

Yeah , I remember the Earl Grey and the New Inn----both good pubs.

The Earl Grey was a big place---well at least it had a concert room at the back.That stood on the corner , I think , of Harrow Street and Ecclesall Road [Could be wrong about its exact position }.

The New Inn was almost exactly across from the Earl Grey , on the corner of Hanover Street and Ecclesall Road.

Not too far away was the Royal Oak [bottom of Cemetery Road] and the Boston and the Lansdowne , both near the junction of Landsdowne Road and London Road.

One of my first [under-age] drinks was at a pub called the Napier , not surprisingly on Napier Street , roughly where that church hall is now , opposite the entrance to "Safeways" [?].

Also there were one or two dotted around the bottom part of Summerfield Street but I can't remember their names.

Plenty to go at 30 or 40 more years ago---and every pub had its individual character and often , eccentric landlords and landladies----as for the customers--well it would take a Dickens to describe them !

the New Inn was renamed "the Beer Engine" for a few years, it was a sort of theme pub.

It's now got some really weird name, still a bit gimmicky. (not been in for a long time, as the access is bad) it's got a strange sign outside,with colours and a design that make me think of 1970's psychedelic wallpaper. (all oranges and browns)

PT

I used to go in the Earl Grey every Friday night to listen to the Imperial traditional jazz band during 1960-61, a really good night out. The concert room wasn't really big about a dozen tables but it used to get really packed.

It once got raided by the police who were after under age drinkers, I was in there and I was just 18 so got away with it. The police wouldn't accept that I was 18 so came to visit my mum and dad a few days later to confirm it. Never see the police in pubs now.

Originally posted by sheffexpat

Plenty to go at 30 or 40 more years ago---and every pub had its individual character and often , eccentric landlords and landladies----as for the customers--well it would take a Dickens to describe them !

Funny how there were so many pubs in the Little Sheffield/Highfield area, yet once you passed the Royal there were hardly any on, or off, Abbedale Road and only a couple on London/Chesterfield Road until you got to Woodseats.

A couple of others I remember were a little pub on John St and another on the corner of Hill St and Bramall Lane, the Yellow Lion on Alderson Road and the Sheaf Hotel on Bramall Lane.

BTW the Royal Oak was a farmhouse long before the area was built up, and the Sheaf Hotel used to be a private house surrounded by gardens and fields.

That Home Beer in the Pamona was something of an aquired taste but was about the cheapest pint in Sheffield, and it was certainly a nice place to go for a quiet drink or two.

Archived