POMONA, Eccelsall Road

I’ve not been in the Lescar (spelling) for years. There used to be good live music nights….the beer was ok too. Come to think of it the Porta Cottage wasn’t too bad either. I haven’t a clue what they are like now. Can anyone get me up-to-date?

My mum and myself used to work at the New Inn in the early 70's it was my local pub, with an odd mix of bikers (I think only one of them actually had a bike :0) and oldies, the landlord then was Billingsley( he was always called by his nickname but ive forgotten it)his missus was a little spit fire!

My brother is still a regular at the pomona, I used also to go in the prince and the rising sun, not so much the earl grey or the devonshire though.as i got older i was a bit of a hippy and went in the nelson and the buckaneer, any body remember the penthouse? it was loppy lol, saw the frank white band there.

it was sad to see a great brewery like Wards disappear.

Originally posted by stevie1957

I’ve not been in the Lescar (spelling) for years. There used to be good live music nights….the beer was ok too. Come to think of it the Porta Cottage wasn’t too bad either. I haven’t a clue what they are like now. Can anyone get me up-to-date?

LESCAR is unchanged..they do comedy nights and DJ's, not sure about live bands now. Good beer. Porter Cottage is ok but rubbish beer, no real ale at all.

Yes - original Pomona was a white coloured boozer with green paint work on Ecclesall Road - demolished for road widening in early 80's.

IMHO was very cliquey - took ages to get served if you weren't a regular. Mind you, so were Nursery Tavern, Lescar (but not the tap room) and Porter Cottage.

Rising Sun was on Pomona Street which runs about 50 yds off Ecclesall Road. Demolished early 70's if my memory is up to scratch.

Best place to get smashed on cider at the time!

• 1 month later...

hi

the old pomona was further down eccleshall rd from the new one toward moorfoot the beer garden could be entered from pomona st , the rising sun was on the corner of pomona st and pear st diagonally facing rabone & chesterman works ( now uni

buildings. the last tenant at the rising sun was my cousin rita edwards now deceased, when demolition came she move to the fox house on shirland road but on retirement came back to live in the sharrow area

Archived