Nonnas "Best of the Rest" Observer Food Restaurant Awards

Tony

For all the bad posts Nonna's gets on here and notwithstanding that I wouldn't be seen dead in there in the evening, I went in for a coffee the other day and it was lovely, the coffee and service were excellent. I also buy bread from the Deli at the back most weeks and it is superb, some of the savoury pastries I've had from them have been fantastic. And yes I have been to Italy and I do know what Italian food should be like. There's more to Nonnas than the orange faced brigade that go in the evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

I champion Nonna's ethic to food in general, and I think that it may be a given in some countries, but it doesn't seem to be so in this country though! I can understand why they won the Observer award.

I still remember Nonnas' humbling beginning in the National Music Centre(?) and then made its way into Eccllesall Rd.

They did. It used to be on their website... :rolleyes:

I remembered it because I was doing research on Sheffield's tourism back then. We are indeed talking about a long time ago. I think they moved out of that dome place, and then moved to Eccllesall Rd. I just remembered being impressed by them because it was one of those family type establishment who is bringing a bit of their own roots to the city, and it was not at all the posh upmarket place that it is now tbh! It had really humble beginnings if I remembered correctly...

Nonnas just used to be a coffee shop only.

While I will happily stand corrected but I think you are confusing yourself Bago.

Nonnas opened on Ecclesall Road in 1997 (or was it 96? I forget offhand). Coffee was served by the very able Remo (now in Broomhill), the deli-counter was looked after by Alison and Wayne did the cooking for the small restaurant at the back.

The NCPM (domes) were not even built until 1999.

Nonnas opened Nonnas 2 (?) opposite in the Brown Street Gallery which lasted a short while and was taken over by Giovanna and Julie who both worked for Nonnas previously. Perhaps this is where your confusion lies?

Both the owners are from restaurateur families and they have always tried to do something a little different, they care about it and it shows. It isn't especially posh or upmarket but it is certainly a cut above the typical trat' in content and style.

As I say, if you are convinced that you are right then please speak up.

Maybe I am confusing myself a little bit, but I am certain that Nonnas had a presence in the National Centre of Popular Music in the coffee shop bit. I think you need to check out if they did their coffee or deli etc. I am fairly confident that I read that they lost out their business in the NCPM and then concentrated on the Nonnas Eccllesall Rd. The part which I may have made a mistake on is if both establishments existed in the same time. But I am fairly certain that they tried for this spot too.

Anyway, I think that they should be championed in this industry, day and age of what they are doing. I can certainly relate to the "eat fresh" concept which exists in many country and culture apart from the UK.

Archived