The hanover - a good pub

dishwasher

does anybody remember when the hanover pub in broomhall was a really decent boozer, back in the early 1980s?

It used to get packed every night, with all different sorts of people.

It served Stones, the lonadlord was an oldish guy called Fred who had an alsatian dog.

I used to live close by and had some amazing nights in there.

What's it like now?

I went in the hanover 18 months ago and it had a lot of disabled people, who live in the special housing nearby. The place looked a little run down. And the other side was almost empty. There was no trouble. The beer was ok. I haven't been in since, but only because I don't live near. It is a good stopping of point if you are heading from west street area to Classic Rock Bar, Vine or Ecclesall road area in general.

• 3 weeks later...

It has gone downhill in the past 3 years. The new landlord and his unfeasibly young wife have tacked a load of Elvis era car-boot tat onto the walls. The Karaoke is laughable and the clientele can be rough ("wanna buy a video?"). Beer prices have risen sharply too.

In its favour the drinking hours are "relaxed", it has a community feel and it looks after it's disabled customers well.

I was going twice a week, but have stopped until it gets a bit more culture: daily papers, games, quiz, open mic, decent jukebox not the landlord's 60s tapes, bands etc.

Well funnily enough, I was in there for a quick pint this week after a meal in town and walking back down to the Classic Rock Bar. And I agree with every word you say Norbert. Wasn't aware the young girl was the Landlord's wife.

Was quite amused with the state of the old fellow though, middle aged chap who has let himself go completely and has an extremely rough voice like he smoked 200 fags every day. I suspect that he's not as old as he seems though. Maybe an extremely rough 30 year old

yeah the food is cheap and the portions generous. there's far worse boozers to live round the corner from for sure.

I was living in the area in the mid 80s.4 and it was a fairly lively place. Basically the Hanover never recovered from when it was under the tyrannical reign of some nut called Les, who barred all the regulars the OP will remember. There was even a 'Hanover Boycott' balloon on display at I think the '86 Broomhall Festival. Total headcase.

To go really further back,up to 1964 I lived a few doors away from the "Hanover",the beer was from Hewitts a Grimsby Brewery I think,and for many years before and during the war it was only a six day licence,it did not open on Sundays,and was know as the six day house.

Archived