The George and Dragon,Ecclesfield

It could have been The Green Dragon,we are not sure,and it was on Townend Road,between the antique shop,and the bottom of Priory Lane,on the left hand side coming down from The Wheel.Nobody I know can remember it being open ever,and I cannot either,and I am 64.Up to a few years ago you could still see the sign on the gable end,but that has disappeared now.There are a boutique,and a butchers shop on the block now.

Having said nobody can remember,I stand corrected,as my pal says he has been in it,and can remember every room.He does come from another planet after five pints of Magnet.He is 62.Alan the landlord of The Stocks cannot remember it either,and he is in his seventies.

You were right first time - it was The George and Dragon. According to my late Mother, her Father kept the pub going. I am also 64 and cannot remember it ever being a pub, but of course it was. When I was a kid it was a chip shop (Mariahs) and a greengrocer (Mr Moss). I doubt very much whether anyone alive today can honestly remember it as a pub. I have loads of books on old Ecclesfield, but I can't find any reference to the date it finally ceased to be a pub. I have asked Ecclesfield Parish Council about it, but they have no records at all.

Thanks Nigel,

My mate lives in a dream world.He is a good lad,but he hears things,and then believes them.I also have a load of books about Ecco,and nothing is mentioned at all about the pub as you say,and when we were young we went in all the pubs around this area,we would have been in it.We also used the chippy that you mentioned as young drinkers.We went in the Sportsman just before it closed,and The Fighting **** opened in 1962.

FOUND IT.

I had totally missed this one. One of the books I have is by the Ecclesfield Local History Class 0f 1977. It is called 'Exploring Old Ecclesfield'. In it, it states the George and Dragon ceased life as a pub in 1901. Its landlord at the time of closure was Arthur Mitchell. In 1877 it was Esau Lee who, was also Ecclesfield Parish Clerk.

• 3 years later...

Hello i am new to this,and was just searching long lost relatives,and came across your george and dragon pub,i know nothing of the pub but i had seen nigel womersley,mention arthur mitchell landlord,

arthur mitchell married annie cooke,her father being charles cooke and jane beet

who ran the old tankard,

The pub was still open in 1911 since Arthur Michell's widow Annie was the landlady. Arthur had died in 1908. I'm not sure when Aniie quit the pub but it was profitable enough to give Annie a living, as well as her son Charles and family. There were also two live-in servants.