Real inflation: An SF real world study

Inflation also helps people with money to make more money, take the houseing crunch, people are buying up forclosures as investments now, parts of the US have Forclosure Bus Tours now, take a ride and pick out a house to your liking, yes ,your taking advantage of other peoples bad luck is one way of looking at it, but it's a big buisness now.

Energy - gas and electricity for us.

Telecommunications, satellite TV, Broadband, etc. - stayed the same, near as damn it.

Food bills - I estimate maybe 8 to 15% increase on the last year, but hard to judge because our shopping trolley has changed contents somewhat!

• 1 month later...

It used to cost me £40 to fill my car from near empty. Suddenly it costs £60. This is the most obvious inflation over the past 12 months.

But it costs more to heat the home,

More to light the home

More to buy the same weekly shop as a year ago,

Council tax is up,

A pint down the pub is up...

The only prices that seem to be falling at the minute are house prices. (And I'm told by every commentator in the land that this is bad, so it must be so).

Thank you Gordon Brown!

Food prices have gone sky high, again thats the oil, we have to pay more now for deliveries, just read where long distance truck drivers (that own their own trucks) have just quit there jobs, sold their vehicles ,they can't afford to fill up .

This is true.

For instance there are no bananas in the shops in Oregon, nor lemons or other citrus fruit. While there are no pears or apples in southern California because they grow them in Oregon and Washington.

Check out you local shops to see what's missing.

It's high time the politicians came clean about inflation and set up an 'essential living cost' index.

Housing, food and cleaning materials, power (heating and lighting), public and private transport, and taxation.

I would exclude leisure/entertainment and consumer durables from the index as people need see the monthly rise in the essential cost of living before they consider what they can spend any spare cash on.

People should also be able to easily see just how much of their after tax income is going on additional taxation. If it were plain to see how much of the rise in the cost of living was in fact taxation, the govt. might be a little more sensitive about the levels of duty and VAT it imposes.

Just heard on the radio that the CPI for April was 3% - that's up half a point on March !

The government tell us today that inflation is up to 3% from 2.5%. Since it is obvious without even going into detail that the cost of most essentials such as food, housing costs and fuel of all kinds has gone up by rather more than 3%, I wonder how they have arrived at that figure as 3% wouldn't be noticeable.

I suspect that 3% is the visible tip of a gerrymandered statistic that will surely bite the Labour Party in the arse very soon.

Joe Public is wising up really fast these days. I bet they wished that they had taxed the Internet out of the reach of mere mortals back in 1997.

Archived