Real inflation: An SF real world study

The only things that haven't (yet) gone up in price are cheaper meat cuts, spuds and things like crisps and choccie. The price of things like bread and pasta has shot up - the pasta I normally buy was about 45p and is now 79p; a granary loaf used to be about £1.02 and is now about £1.79; white bread was around 29p and is now 69p; a pepper cost 45p and is now 89p; a carton of mushrooms was 49p and is now 89p...so nobody can preach about how 'healthy eating' is affordable now, because it isn't! Plus with rising energy bills you even have to bear in mind cooking times for dishes, so frying is cheaper than baking for example. :(

It's high time the politicians came clean about inflation and set up an 'essential living cost' index.

Housing, food and cleaning materials, power (heating and lighting), public and private transport, and taxation.

I would exclude leisure/entertainment and consumer durables from the index as people need see the monthly rise in the essential cost of living before they consider what they can spend any spare cash on.

People should also be able to easily see just how much of their after tax income is going on additional taxation. If it were plain to see how much of the rise in the cost of living was in fact taxation, the govt. might be a little more sensitive about the levels of duty and VAT it imposes.

Just heard on the radio that the CPI for April was 3% - that's up half a point on March !

I think this a very sensible idea, it would be interesting to see what is defined as essential though:thumbsup:

I would exclude leisure/entertainment and consumer durables from the index as people need see the monthly rise in the essential cost of living before they consider what they can spend any spare cash on.

I don't think people consider how they are going to spend their hard earned based on a notional infalation figure from the governement, they just blow it until there's none left which is part of the cause of inflation.

The only things that haven't (yet) gone up in price are cheaper meat cuts, spuds and things like crisps and choccie. The price of things like bread and pasta has shot up - the pasta I normally buy was about 45p and is now 79p; a granary loaf used to be about £1.02 and is now about £1.79; white bread was around 29p and is now 69p; a pepper cost 45p and is now 89p; a carton of mushrooms was 49p and is now 89p...so nobody can preach about how 'healthy eating' is affordable now, because it isn't! Plus with rising energy bills you even have to bear in mind cooking times for dishes, so frying is cheaper than baking for example. :(

1.79 for a loaf, that has gone up, however here I pay $3 for a small loaf, you can't even get a normal sized one.

Potato's are about $1 per pound, milk is about 60 cents a pint.

BUT, a packet of digestives is $5, a small bottle of HP is $5, and six oz of Jelly Babies is also $5.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the cat is really out of the bag now. Factory gate prices have just been released and they are now pretty and exceed even the gloomy predictions that were going around. The PPI (Producer Price Index) figures released this morning...

From inthenews.co.uk

Factory gate inflation rises

Monday, 09 Jun 2008 10:35

Manufacturers' costs are rising sharply

Factory gate costs increased 8.9 per cent in the year to May, a record rise as fuel and food prices soared.

Input prices have also risen 27 per cent in the year to May, an increase of 3.5 per cent from last month.

The increase is significant as it suggests manufacturers may be forced to push prices up further as they try to protect their shrinking margins.

Although petroleum products and oil were the main culprits of the rise in costs, the output price index rose 5.9 per cent in May even excluding food, beverages, tobacco and petroleum, suggesting inflation is rising across the board.

This data, representing the sharpest rise since records began in 1986, will make setting the rate even more difficult for the Bank of England, analyst Howard Archer said.

"The abysmal May producer price inflation further constrains the Bank of England's ability to deliver the interest rate cuts that the economy so badly needs," Mr Archer, economist for Global Insight said.

"Indeed, it seems ever more likely that the Bank of England will be unwilling to cut interest rates from five per cent to 4.75 per cent until the fourth quarter of this year, and even a move then is questionable."

Weaker demand has discouraged manufacturers from raising their prices significantly up to now, despite the increase in commodity costs.

But with oil at $140 a barrel, manufacturers may soon have no choice, Mr Archer warned

This isn't pretty reading.

There certainly seems to be some kidology going on with the government's supposed inflation figures although I am also wondering whether people actually feel any worse off or is it the media telling us we ought to. Plenty of people in the shops.

I really don't know Darbees. It's a very odd situation, but the numbers are not looking good for the Iron Chancellor. I do agree with your intonation about the media though. It almost feels as though it is self-fulfilling.

Damn that pesky internet!

• 1 year later...

Inflation is up again.

From the Telegraph

The Office for National Statistics said consumer prices rose by an annual 3.7pc last month compared to 3.4pc in March, above economists' expectations of an increase to 3.5pc.

Sadly I think that this trend is inevitable for a while.

It seems that fewer people believe the published inflation rate

The CPI inflation rate doesn't include petrol, mortgage costs and council tax (link) and core CPI does not include food (link).

So unless you live in a house made of DVD players and eat iPods, it's pretty much worthless as a guide to inflation.

And if that carefully constructed and filtered figure is now at 3.7%, what must real world inflation be running at?

Archived