Cockaynes department store, Angel St

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Charlie616

Sorry about the delay in replying.

My father, Jimmy Cockayne, was the MD of Cockaynes store during the war. I was only three and, being so young, blissfully unaware of the worldwide disasters of WW2.

After the store was flattened, it must have been a real struggle to start trading again. I suppose that someone had the foresight to keep the names and addresses of about 500 staff at another address because every scrap of paper at Angel Street was burnt.

Also all the stock was destroyed and there was a general shortage of goods to sell and rationing.

So the task would be to find alternative premises and retain as many staff as circumstances permitted and restock with what could be obtained.

I know that the firm was almost bust because my father recounted how they had to tour round the branches on Friday to collect the cash to pay the wages.

By 1946, there were branches in all sorts of locations, some quite bizarre.

Millinery and fashions, Ladies shoes - 1st floor Grand Hotel:

Lady's and Children's Outfitting, Overalls and Neckwear -Cinema House and Glossop Road:

Furniture, Bedding at 125 London Rd:

Wools, Cottons and Craftwork threads and Millinery at Broomhill:

Furnishings and Carpets, Gentleman's outfitting at the Grand Hotel ground floor:

Linens and piece goods, Haberdashery, Leather goods, Perfumery at the Cinema House:

Glass and China and Ironmongery at 212 &214 West St:

Electrical department at 194 London Rd:

Restaurant on top floor of the Blind Institute in Mappin St:

Hairdressing And Beauty treatments at 417 Ecclesall Rd.

After obtaining licences for scarce building materials, planning consent and raising extra capital, it was possible to build the first two floors on the new store in Angel St and open in January 1949. The other three floors were completed in 1955.

Hello John - it's interesting to read about your father's recollections; I met you both in the early 1970s when I worked at the Midland Bank. If your history of the store is/has been published I would certainly be interested in a copy!.:)

• 2 years later...
Hi Hillsbro,

Please be patient. Writing this history is probably be about two years away from completion.

Your interest is encouraging.

Cockayne

I seem to remember going into town in1960 from my school in Pitsmoor to see American pop star Ereddie Cannon open Cockaynes . However I see some posters on hers worked there in 1958 and 1959. Am I imagining this ,or was it the ABC cinema he was opening? It was definitely Angel Street

I seem to remember going into town in1960 from my school in Pitsmoor to see American pop star Ereddie Cannon open Cockaynes . However I see some posters on hers worked there in 1958 and 1959. Am I imagining this ,or was it the ABC cinema he was opening? It was definitely Angel Street

The ABC cinema was opened on 18th May 1961 with the premiere of 'Don't bother to knock.' It starred Richard Todd and he was there at its opening.

It may have been that you remember.

echo.

The ABC cinema was opened on 18th May 1961 with the premiere of 'Don't bother to knock.' It starred Richard Todd and he was there at its opening.

It may have been that you remember.

echo.

You could be right about the year, as I left school in July 1961, but it was Freddie Cannon I went to see not Richard Todd. Maybe it was something else he opened, as I wouldn't Have skipped an afternoon at school to see Richard Todd lol

Edited by TORONTONY

• 1 month later...

Hi - my father, Ernest Hallows, worked at Cockaynes up until they were blitzed. He was a plumber by trade, and he worked down in the basement looking after the boilers and the heating and plumbing systems. He was at work when the blitz started, and his knowledge of all the underground passageways was instrumental in helping himself and others get out of the wreckage comparatively unscathed. Among them were the commissionaire, Bernard Daniels, his wife (whose name I forget), and son Gerald (who would have been about 6 or 7, I think), who all lived on the premises. They came to live with us in Handsworth for a while until they were able to find accommodation way the other side of town.

• 1 month later...