Cockaynes department store, Angel St

Around 1963 Sheffield held a Shopping Festival. My friend Janet Dickinson who worked at Cockaynes, selling separates, was crowned Festival Queen. It was great publicity for the store and Janet had a wonderful year. Her aunt, Miss Dickinson was a buyer  at the store.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 02/04/2008 at 20:17, hazel said:

Can't help with before the war as I was 3 when it started but as I was on my way to Infant School I would pass and play on the pile of rubble which was Cockaynes. I remember there were a few wells around there too, we would drop stones and listen for the splash.

But as a young women I used the store quite a bit. Very good store from which I bought clothes and my engagement ring from their second hand jewellry counter.

hazel

m mum worked there in the war sh worked when the moor was bombed she went to work to find it all gone 

• 2 years later...
On 02/04/2008 at 15:13, cockayne said:

Can any one help me with prewar memories of the staff or photos of the original store in Angel Street, which was bombed flat during the Sheffield blitz?

I am gathering material for a history of the store.

John Cockayne

Hi John,  sorry for my late reply.  Did you manage to put together a history of the store?  My Mum was a Cockayne.  She used to talk fondly of the store