Wolf whistling, is it wrong?

That seems rather an odd thing to say in the context of this discussion. I'd say it's the people who wolf whistle that need to grow up, not the people who may take offence.

Maybe they do... but if they don't what are you going to do about it?

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 22:46 ----------

That’s a very odd point of view.

It’s right that people can take unnecessary offense.

People can also rightly take offense. You could argue it’s pointless in terms of achieving anything - but that would be the same for any number of other human emotions.

Offense is simply one persons point of view. You've been on the gender-fluid thread - you say that gender-fluid is nonsense, and a gender-fluid person claims they are offended by your comment. Do you change your view simply because they are offended? Do you never offer your opinion on the subject ever again for fear of offending someone else?

Guest makapaka

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 22:46 ----------

Offense is simply one persons point of view. You've been on the gender-fluid thread - you say that gender-fluid is nonsense, and a gender-fluid person claims they are offended by your comment. Do you change your view simply because they are offended? Do you never offer your opinion on the subject ever again for fear of offending someone else?

I haven’t referred to gender fluidity as nonsense.

You’re confusing issues again - we’re not talking about opinion on a subject - we’re talking about the action of offending someone by whistling / shouting whatever.

People hold different views on all kind of subjects - you don’t have to shout them at people in the street.

Also - what point of view is someone voicing by whistling at a women?

I haven’t referred to gender fluidity as nonsense.

You’re confusing issues again - we’re not talking about opinion on a subject - we’re talking about the action of offending someone by whistling / shouting whatever.

People hold different views on all kind of subjects - you don’t have to shout them at people in the street.

Also - what point of view is someone voicing by whistling at a women?

The point is about offense - some people find wolf whistling offensive, some don't.

Those who find it offensive, what are they going to do about it? You say education, but how are you going to educate someone who wolf-whistles?

Guest makapaka
The point is about offense - some people find wolf whistling offensive, some don't.

Those who find it offensive, what are they going to do about it? You say education, but how are you going to educate someone who wolf-whistles?

By highlighting that its not acceptable - I’m doing it now.

I don’t doubt some people aren’t offended by it - but some are. As I said earlier some people take unnecessary offense for some things (holding doors open would be one I agree with) but I don’t think it’s unnecessary to be offended by being whistled at or shouted at. You’re also only using the term offense - there’s also embarrassment and intimidation to consider.

Wolf whistling happens when an:

1 an immature individual who would never otherwise have the courage, acts within the safety of the group.

2 an insecure member of the group tries to maintain their position in the group by joining in.

The last thing they want is a positive reaction from the target as this would likely expose themselves to ridicule, so they add an aggressive comment or gesture designed to put the target "off". This is often intimidating or threatening to the target.

Is this harmless fun?

Wolf whistling happens when an:

1 an immature individual who would never otherwise have the courage, acts within the safety of the group.

2 an insecure member of the group tries to maintain their position in the group by joining in.

The last thing they want is a positive reaction from the target as this would likely expose themselves to ridicule, so they add an aggressive comment or gesture designed to put the target "off". This is often intimidating or threatening to the target.

Is this harmless fun?

Of course it is. ! You are dramatising something that is harmless.

I don’t doubt some people aren’t offended by it - but some are..

At what point do you make that judgement call just prior to wolf whistling a stranger? Guesswork?

And... if you're consciously making a judgement call on the basis of 'some are, some aren't' then you are mentally in a position of understanding offence could be taken.

No one is offended if the "action" isn't taken, or goes no further than your own mental fantasy....its really that simple.

My guess is this isnt about the target being noticed with a "compliment"..this is about the perp needing to be noticed by the target....sadly though some women perpetuate by defending the actions of immaturity by some men...that in itself is a whole bag of personality disorder tricks though.

With respect, you can't say that. You can say that you find it harmless - but the reality is that many women do find it offensive, rude and intimidating.

Look at this short video where the guy says ''Nice set of boobs you got''.

Do you feel comfortable with that?

It's essentially the same thing as wolf-whistling is it not?

I can't speak for other people, but i believe that offense is a choice.

So you're offended... so what? It doesn't change anything.

I say something, a person says they're offended by my comment... what next? I have to change my behaviour simply because someone isn't mature enough to deal with someone else's view??? What if i'm then offended by what they say?

Offense is a pointless escapade that has no place in the adult world...

In my most humble of opinions.

Are you now trying to claim that wolf whistling only causes offence and that offence is entirely voluntary?

So, the intimidation, the unease, potentially fear, we're going to pretend that these don't happen and it's all a voluntary offence.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:35 ----------

Perhaps their employer will sack them when it's reported.

You don't shout opinions at people in the street do you?

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:36 ----------

Are you for real? Other women have told you that they don't like it. Why are you still defending it?

Are you now trying to claim that wolf whistling only causes offence and that offence is entirely voluntary?

So, the intimidation, the unease, potentially fear, we're going to pretend that these don't happen and it's all a voluntary offence.

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:35 ----------

Perhaps their employer will sack them when it's reported.

You don't shout opinions at people in the street do you?

---------- Post added 24-11-2017 at 07:36 ----------

Are you for real? Other women have told you that they don't like it. Why are you still defending it?

Im not defending it because I have no need to. This is a Forum and everyone has a right to their own opinion.