Meadowhall Retail Park car parking megathread

And feel free to take up two spaces, block someone else in, or maybe even park in the disabled bay, because if you're going to ignore the time limit rule, why not ignore the lot!

That was made illegal at the same time clamping was IIRC

• 2 months later...

on 18 oct 2013 I recevid a letter from g24 saying on the 4 oct2013 I had entered meadowhall retail park at 12:20pm and left on the same day at 16:25 they have two pictures off my car entering and exit the retail park . this is way it gets intresting on that date I did visit retail park at 12:20 to go jollies pet shop for a maxium of 10 min then exit the retail park. what they are saying that I was there for 245 min and wont £50 with in 14 days. however at 12:37 on same day i was filling up at sainsburys petrol station and then went to post office so how can I park for that length of time.best thing about it I pick my wife up at 4:00 at meadowhall and went back to retail park were we do shopping at aldi at about 4:20 shopping for about half a hour and left. I have got proof I filled up the car. so what I am saying is stick your parking charge notice g24 .

Not sure about this comment.

At the end of the day it's private land and the owners are well within there rights to put rules in place regarding parking, as far as the penalty charge goes they will says the costs incurred are for camera surveillance & administration etc.

There's another option to this thread - a complete boycott of the Retail Park car park for one day, when the businesses start complaining then maybe the dictator oops landlord will think again.

The same happened at Mothercare/Staples car park near Bramall Lane a few years back. I went into Mothercare to collect an item and whilst waiting went into Staples for something or other came out collected my item and there was a ticket on the windscreen. I'd only been there 48 minutes. I sent the HO a copy of the ticket and copies of my receipts for the 48 minutes I was there. They responded with a voucher in apology, after I had suggested it to prevent the matter going further :D

Call their bluff, alternatively park elsewhere or shop elsewhere, when the stores start losing their profits they will make it known.

Slightly off topic was in Meadowhall yesterday parked on the ground floor outside car park and low and behold there was a transit type van marked up as DVLA Licensing or some similar lettering going up and down the rows of cars looking at tax discs etc and as I left a little man was peering in at a nice looking Mercedes car I thought that places like that where private property unless i'm missing something !!!

Slightly off topic was in Meadowhall yesterday parked on the ground floor outside car park and low and behold there was a transit type van marked up as DVLA Licensing or some similar lettering going up and down the rows of cars looking at tax discs etc and as I left a little man was peering in at a nice looking Mercedes car I thought that places like that where private property unless i'm missing something !!!

Wouldn't it need to be SORN in that case? Which then raises the point on how the car got there?

• 1 year later...

Exract from the Web this morning 20th Febrary 2015 ::::::::::::::::

Drivers could get refunds totalling tens of millions of pounds over "illegal" parking fines on private land.

The group claims "fines" of up to £100 for infringing conditions in private car parks may be illegal, and is calling on the Government to stop the practice.

Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, said: "Millions of drivers could be in line for a refund. We estimate that in 2013 alone, drivers might have been overcharged by some £100m."

Clamping on private land was outlawed by the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, but charges for infringements of private car park conditions have grown to an estimated £100m per year.

Barrister John de Waal QC argues that this is likely to be several times more than compensation for a genuine loss, and would not be enforceable by the courts.

"They should be seen by the courts as penalties, which means they are unenforceable," he said.

Pauline Welsh, 57, was charged £60 after parking on what she thought was council-owned land - meaning it would have been free during the evening.

"It's shocking, and it needs sorting," the retired teacher told Sky News. "It's just not fair."

Mrs Welsh's husband, Alastair, appealed against her ticket - and another incurred by their son elsewhere. Both were overturned.

Figures from the British Parking Association show motorists won 49% of the 57,500 appeals made every year on average.

Professor Glaister called on the Government to set out what a reasonable charge should be.

"They allowed a system of ticketing to emerge which is barely regulated. In effect, drivers have been short-changed," he added.

Firstly, it's a publicly accessible car park, and so all the standard laws of the road apply.

Secondly, the DVLA can enter private property to perform enforcement.

• 1 year later...

my son has just received a fine yesterday from the company G24

he was photographed entering the car park on the retail site where the big Toys R us store is on the 18th of December at 3.13pm, he exited at 6.55pm.

3hrs 42 mins. to do shopping and eat oh and park his car.

is this a legit fine, definitely one way to put anyone off doing their shopping there,

also the letter is in very small print we've had to get the magnifying glass out to blooming read it