Crying Boy Painting Curse?

Originally posted by Strix

As the Sun story was circulated in '85, that can't be it's origin, as I heard the story when I lived in Liverpool, and I left in '82.

I think I heard of it in the early 1980s as well.....I think the Sun story popularised it.

There were some other diabolical (from a view of taste, not artistic merit) around then as well. There was one of a naked woman walking on a beach or something similar that was actually the wrapped around wing of a swan....it was very blue....:)

There wasn't a story associated with that one - the print just reminded me of an LP cover for someone like 'Yes' or 'King Crimson'...:)

Joe

Originally posted by dishwasher

What about the woman with the green face?

There can't be many popular pictures with less artistic merit than that, can there?

I never saw that one.....

I think I came from a background where the use of paintings on the wall was, to paraphrase 10cc, 'just to hide a nasty stain that's lying there'....:)

Joe

That's a good point Jules - a lot of the thinking behind the Crying Boy legend was that such a painting survived house fires - all the house fires that took place that didn't involve such paintings just get ignored, and at the same time those houses with the paintings that don't burn down also don't get a mention.

It's like saying that teacups cause housefires because there's almost certainly a tea cup in every house that catches fire....:)

Joe

If all we had to fear in this vale of tears were stupendously bad art like the aforementioned painting, paradise would surely be on Earth. Careless people, malfunctioning labour-saving devices , fireworks and pathological arsonists burn down houses.

There are so many tales about "Blue boys" depicted on Woolworths paintings, haunted chairs, puddle-making poltergeists around the milk section in some Rotherham Netto store, houses burnt down by the malign influence of Cabbage Patch dolls etc etc. None of them contain a single thread of truth. All are the most sublimely fatuous nonesense. We have much more to fear from the ne'er-do-wells, louts, yobs, cut-purses, and roaming, demented bloody fools of the material world, without worrying about paintings with murderous intentions and "supernatural" forces.

if anyone really wants to see most of the 'crying children' set by J Bragolin, you can scroll down to the gallery at the bottom of this page

My grandmother had the girl and the picture of the boy leaning against a wall.

Edit - the 'doctored' picture at the end of the gallery... yuk! :gag:

My mum had the Crying Boy painting on the top of our stairs, and we all had our photographs taken beside it. Not ONE of the photos came out properly, with bright lights here and faded parts of the pictures.

The rest of the film roll turned out okay, it was just those few pictures. Inexplicable really.

Archived