Mish Mash - Ecclesall Road. Your experiences...

sasha81

I find chips are the measure of a good restaurant.
yeah, me too!
Err... I think Nick may have been taking the pi55... ;)

As for 'Mish Mash' - I've never been but I love traditional well-made food.

Hopefully it's a fair bit better than that dire place that shut down - 'The Mash House' - which was the epitome of "lets go all modern and pretentious about sausages and mash... and charge extortionate prices for rubbish food and a terrible atmosphere... the students will love it!" :loopy:

Actually, several have.

I agree with you on this Nick. I'm more than happy to recommend good restaurants on the forum and my judgements are not based upon the price of a meal. I had a wonderful meal last night at The Milestone at Kelham Island - this is over the £10 mark for mains. The food was fantastic, good wine was recommended by an excellent waitress. Unfortunately, Mish Mash didn't do it for me - maybe it was a bad day? However, I am entitled to an opinion.

I've been a few times - the service was not so great first time I went in, but it has improved significantly. I've always found the food to be really good, as have my eating companions - I've been for lunch 3 or 4 times, and twice in the evening. But everyone has different tastes and expectations, which is why I guess it's pretty rare to get nothing but praise for any restaurant.

I'm more than happy to recommend good restaurants on the forum and my judgements are not based upon the price of a meal.

Same here, I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend Wasabisabi or Baan Thai (amongst others), mainly becasue I've never had a bad meal in either, not becasue they are cheap/expensive.

Well I love Wasabisabi, and have had a great meal at the Milestone... so if Nick or missymarsbar recommend a place in future I can be confident that we have similar standards... ;)

Thanks KatieB...we eat out quite alot and here's a quick overview (not in any particular order):

1 Lounge in town (Glossop Road / West St) Szurko brothers have taken it over recently - both brilliant chefs....Christian knows what type of food we like and cooks it (so we don't order from the menu) - sign of a good chef

2 Marco at Milano and Rafters - for a posh meal

3 Portofino (next to Ponsfords nr Meersbrook) - best pizzas, great service and good value - we're in there twice a week - second home! Decor's not flash but the pizzas are great.

4 West 10 for lunch / dinner - Jonty is another good chef

5 Wong Ting chinese - good cheap lunch and good Sunday buffet (not like the usual chinese buffets)

6 Wasabi - great for tepanyaki if there's a few of you and good sushi

7 Milestone - first class where chefs have obviously taken time in prep

8 Cippola at Broomhill - contemporary decor, great service and quality italian food at average prices

9 Rowley's at Baslow if you fancy a trip out and good food. Only problem is the expensive taxi home, but woth it for special occasions and their wine tasting and food nights

10 Bar 23 (upstairs restaurant) - wasn't that impressed when it first opened, but the last few times we've been, it's been quality food and good value

That's my round up...hope it helps! It's only my opinion; I don't work or have links to the above places and I've tried to be objective in terms of price, service, food etc

And yes, I think Nick was taking the pi55 about the chip quality being the mark of a good restauant! Can you qualify this for us Nick!

Thanks KatieB...we eat out quite alot and here's a quick overview...
Ooh thank you! :D Some new ones there for us to try :)

I love about half of your top ten (Lounge, Marcos, Wasabi, Milestone, Bar23)... and the other half I've never been to, but judging by our similar tastes I will enjoy trying them out! ;)

The only ones I can add to that recommendation list are:

Cricket Inn, Totley - great to spend Sunday afternoon there - great atmosphere & pub food a cut above ;)

Piccolos - nipped in there once with low expectations but had a really tasty lovely meal. Nothing fancy, good little Italian :)

I'm surprised we've never met, KatieB! We used to go lots to Cricket on Sunday afternoons (but haven't tried it since Fab left) and go to Piccolos for good, honest italian food in the city centre. We first went there with the same feelings as you, but have always had a good meal out! Tried Strada and Zizzi at Leopold Sq and Piccolino at winter gardens - ugh, not good. You'll have to update me with good places and i'll do the same!

Archived