Indian Restaurant next to Classic Cinema

• 3 months later...

The restaurant was definitly owned by a Cypriot family in the early 50's. It seemed to be part of the theatre building, you went down a few steps and you were practically under the Classic or News theatre (whatever it was at that time.) I don't know if they served ethnic food at all, I always used to have a mix grill. I had my first 'curry' a few years later at the Chinese restaurant on the left hand side of the road that turns off London Rd and goes down to Heeley Bottom and have loved it ever since.

• 7 months later...
The restaurant was definitly owned by a Cypriot family in the early 50's. It seemed to be part of the theatre building, you went down a few steps and you were practically under the Classic or News theatre (whatever it was at that time.) I don't know if they served ethnic food at all, I always used to have a mix grill. I had my first 'curry' a few years later at the Chinese restaurant on the left hand side of the road that turns off London Rd and goes down to Heeley Bottom and have loved it ever since.

I can remeber it being Queens Restaurant. I had a meal there with a man called Frank Smith from Intake and the bill was over £5!!! A lot of money in 1961.

I can remeber it being Queens Restaurant. I had a meal there with a man called Frank Smith from Intake and the bill was over £5!!! A lot of money in 1961.

It was called the Queens Restaurant, the entrance was part of the theatre facade which was finished in some kind of white marble tiles. Me Mr Moneybags took a girl there one Saturday evening for a meal, she happened to be a little older than me and I was, I suppose, trying to impress her, anyway the bill arrived which I paid, hoping she was going to slip me some money later. It did'nt happen and this was after I had payed for the movie before, I was broke for a long time after that.

I used to go twice a week to the Indus, always called him Ralph and he never corrected me, so Ralph it is for me. The cutlery still had "Queens Restaurant" etched on the blades. I started off eating Vindaloos but they were too hot for me so I used to have one of the special dishes,( different one each time ) with a bottle,or two of Mateus Rose wine.Ah those were the days.

• 2 weeks later...
I used to go twice a week to the Indus, always called him Ralph and he never corrected me, so Ralph it is for me. The cutlery still had "Queens Restaurant" etched on the blades. I started off eating Vindaloos but they were too hot for me so I used to have one of the special dishes,( different one each time ) with a bottle,or two of Mateus Rose wine.Ah those were the days.

Them were the days eh, Atlex. We used to go once a week and have a couple of bottles of Mateus Rose with a very tasty tandoorie chicken dish.

And you are right, Raul always responded to Ralph which most people called him. Happy days:)

Archived