Whats the worst job you've ever had ?

McDonalds when I was a student, though it was still alright really, guess I've been lucky when it comes to employment.

I got burnt so many times at Maccy D's though, given me some very interesting scars! The one on my elbow is the best, accidently planted it on something that was 217 degreess! I heard it sizzling before I felt it! :hihi:

plucking turkeys in Kent for Christmas when I was a student. It was piece rate, and it paid pretty well, a tenner an hour once you got the hang of it over 15 years ago and the hours weren't too bad either, you started at 8 and were finished by 3 - but it was still an awful job.

first day, about two hours in, one of my co-workers, trying to ascertain how I was handling it - because some people quit first day - asked me how I was finding it.

I said, 'it's kind of like playing a double bass' - because the birds swivel round on the hangers while you're trying to remove the feathers as quickly as possible. You know how in the early rock n roll bands, on the tv, they always swivelled the double bass instruments round?

at the end of the shift he said, 'I've been doing this every Christmas for years, and I couldn't get the image of a double bass out of my mind all day'.

hilarious. Anyway, once was enough. After two weeks I took the money and left, never to return.

Worked for a council maintenance team over summer, picking up rubbish from parks (gawd some of it was awful). Driving a dumper truck about, marking out playing fields etc.

Some aspects were great though! I got all fit and buff, nice tan, outside all day. In many ways better than sitting in front of a PC all day! Shame the pay was bad.

I worked for a few months for a crappy little securitiy firm in Sheffield- a rent-a-cop bunch with the collective IQ of a lettuce.

I only took the job because it was the first job I saw and couldnt be bothered to search for anything better, and I was out of there and on my way to Leicester within a couple of months.

Horrible job, just horrible. Fifteen hour shifts were a nightmare.

I used to work in an industrial laundry.

{WARNING: If you are of a squeemish nature, read no further}

If you've ever wondered what happened to the clothes that you gave away to the rag and bone man.... well, they ended up at an industrial laundry. They got sorted into different types of cloth, e.g., jeans, cotton shirts, heavy coats, and suchlike.

Then they got washed in huge multi-tub washers, set on an extremely high temperature. After that, they got dried in smaller drying machines. From there they got loaded onto conveyor belts, where a small army of women snipped off buckles, belts and buttons, cuffs and collars, and boxed them up.

The boxes of clean rags were then sold to offices (as dusters), garages and heavy industry (for wiping down greasy, oily machines), etc.

So, you may ask, what was squeemish about the job?

Well, it was always a problem over the condition in which some folk gave away their old clothes. For example (are you really sure you want to read any further?...) when you checked that trouser pockets were empty, you'd discover used condoms, always neatly knotted to prevent leakage of the contents, i.e., semen.

That was quite pleasent compared to the condition of undergarments, especially men's underpants. I'd sometimes empty the multi-tub washers full of underpants, only to find that I'd grabbed hold of... an extremly hot turd!

Or I'd empty the drying machines, only to grab hold of yet another extremly hot turd!

The temperature in this laundry often reached 90F, and the heat and noise was horrendous. Given these working conditons, you finished the day literally stinking of sweat (and other people's turds). I had to give up travelling home by bus - as folk simply avoided sitting next to me, as I literally stank!

I did this job for nearly two years whilst studying at night school to go to college full time. But... never again!

Worked nights in a nursing home for the elderly there was 60 residents and only 3 staff, the management of the home was obsessed with bowels and would give the residents either prune juice or suppositories if they hadnt been for a couple of days. It was just poo poo poo from start to finish, we did the lottery but never won!

hot working conditions . . . not me, but a mate of mine was on a moshav in Israel, in the middle of the Negev desert where OUTSIDE temperatures can reach 50 degrees CENTIGRADE in summer, was picking tomatoes in A GREENHOUSE (but not in summer) in those sorts of temperatures. He said there was a thermometer on the wall in one section of the works that regularly read like 55 centigrade.

in another section of the greenhouse in the desert, there was a bit where it was cooler. It was only 40 odd degrees centigrade in there. He said that when he walked through from the hot section to the cooler section - i.e. from 55 to 45 degrees centigrade, he felt a sense of relief.

needless to say he had to make sure he drank plenty of water. He was only getting 3 dollars an hour as well.

I was on the same site, but on a sales deck, in an airconditioned office, trying to get Marks and Spencer and Sainsbury's, etc, in the UK to buy the stuff the agricultural concern was growing on the phone. Compared to what he was going through, a very easy job indeed.