"Dreams" versus "Everyday Life"...which one is actual "Reality"?

Our day to day lives are real. Our dreams are real too, or at least a real phenomenon in a real life, containing jumbled images combined with the preoccupations taken from a real life.

That's about the size of it.

Not at all. The alternative to just living, reproducing and ultimately dying isn't a dream world, or a world where your dreams have to mean something beyond your brain attempting to assimilate the days events with long term memory. The alternative is attempting to make the most of the time when you're not dreaming, when you're awake and have the ability and potential to do something with your life.

But which is the "dream" and which is the "reality", Hecate?

That's the conundrum. :)

Say we sleep 8 hours and dream for "x" hours. We "wake" and have a "16 hour" experience of "life"......why should the 8 hours be considered unreal but the 16 hours be real? :huh:

Like reproducing, and growing older?

I covered reproduction in my previous posts. How about career, friendships, relationships, and hobbies?

I covered reproduction in my previous posts. How about career, friendships, relationships, and hobbies?

Oh yes, I know about them. But they tend to come and go, I find.

Dreams...do you really think they are nothing more than just assimilation of daily events. If so, what chooses the events your brain decides to assimilate? What decides that?

But which is the "dream" and which is the "reality", Hecate?

That's the conundrum. :)

Say we sleep 8 hours and dream for "x" hours. We "wake" and have a "16 hour" experience of "life"......why should the 8 hours be considered unreal but the 16 hours be real? :huh:

I'm fairly clear on the difference. I don't consider the eight hours I spend asleep and the small percentage of that time I spend dreaming any less real than the time I spend awake; they're different facets of an overall reality.

Is the content of my dream real, in that I can interact with it and influence it in the same way I can interact with and influence the people and events in the time I spend awake? Of course not.

Oh yes, I know about them. But they tend to come and go, I find. ...

As does the content of our dreams, although my examples do tend to have rather more substance.

...Dreams...do you really think they are nothing more than just assimilation of daily events. ...

Not nothing more, but it's an important facet, and dreams are certainly linked with long term memory function and activity.

...If so, what chooses the events your brain decides to assimilate? What decides that?

I've no idea. The tone of your dreams are influenced by your current preoccupations, which is why emotions influence dream content, particularly anxiety and sadness.

I'm confused now...are dreams are linked with long term-memory, or current preoccupations?

And, if dreams can be compared with things of substance...why can dreams not be considered real? Aren't memories, current preoccupations, anxiety, and sadness real?

Some dreams are so striking that we wake up in an upset state or feeling sick or scared. ...

That doesn't mean the dreams are 'real' in that they're part of your waking reality. Some chemicals enhance the vividness of dreams to an alarming extent, prozac and other SSRI anti-depressants, for example. They don't allow the dreams to transcend the sleeping state though.

...How do we know if that wasnt real life overlapping into this state that we`re in now...?

Because we wake with a jump and find ourselves in bed.

You can have lucid dreaming, where you're aware that you're dreaming while you're dreaming. As far as I'm aware, dreams don't occur while you're awake, unless you consider hallucinations to fall into that category.

That doesn't mean the dreams are 'real' in that they're part of your waking reality. Some chemicals enhance the vividness of dreams to an alarming extent, prozac and other SSRI anti-depressants, for example. They don't allow the dreams to transcend the sleeping state though.

Because we wake with a jump and find ourselves in bed.

You can have lucid dreaming, where you're aware that you're dreaming while you're dreaming. As far as I'm aware, dreams don't occur while you're awake, unless you consider hallucinations to fall into that category.

But if we forget huge tracts of dreams- in fact entire dreams, how do we know that we dont forget all this on the other side?

Time is relative so a second "There" could be a lifetime here.

The nature of reality is bizarre at best.

Archived