Fine Fare Supermarket

• 9 months later...

Just found this site which has brought back many memories. I started at Firth Park in 1968, eventually working in most of the Sheffield stores, Stavely, Rotherham and finally finishing at Wombwell in 1973. I remember particularly Bill Faloona and his "office"-The Homestead pub just down rhe road. Also remember Roger Coker,a real gent.

• 3 weeks later...

Andy,

I remember Bill Folluna very well and for about six months in 1970 I managed the Stag Rondabout store prior to emigrating to Australia. I also worked at Fine Fares in Woodseats, Crookes, Attercliffe, Parsons Cross and Firth Park (With both Roger Coker and Rod Taylor.

Hi,Andy.Yes you are quite right Andy,you did run me home to Wath once. The photo of Marshall Grove was close to where I lived on Riley Road.Moved a time or two since - Rotherham,Wakefield and now Doncaster. Left FF for Hillards early in 1973 but didn`t like it and joined the Prison Service in October that year. Very nice to hear from you.

Hi Terry.I was at Stag Roundabout around `67-`68. Also worked at Woodseats with I think Tony Tuck, Attercliffe with Bill Wright, Heeley, Staveley, Wombwell with Chris Corker who later took over Firth Park and Armthorpe.Left in `73 for Hillards but didn`t like it and joined the Prison Service later that year.

"Fine Fare started in 1956 with just one supermarket in Brighton.

By 1962 it had 200 outlets.

It was acquired by Associated British Foods in 1963, who sold it to the Dee

Corporation in 1986 and re-branded as Gateway Stores.

Dee Corp eventually became Somerfield."

Hi,Terry. Best job I had at Firth Park was working in the off-licence they bought in Bellhouse Road before they moved it into the supermarket.That would have been about 1971.Spent many an hour in there talking to the girl from the laundrette over the road. Happy days!!

Archived