Trying to trace old regimental badge

I have an old cloth badge, which has been between the pages of the family bible for at least 50 years. It measures 2" square, is of white linen and has an embroidered insignia in blue of 3 crossed implements. One is a single headed axe, one a doubled headed axe or pick, or even a hammer and the third looks like a spindle.

The badge looks as though it was once stitched onto a sleeve. If anyone can tell me where it comes from I'd be very grateful.

Sounds like the Pioneer Corps.

Regimental or Corps badges were usually brass and attached to the head wear.

Cloth badges were sewn on the shoulder of the uniform and donated ,area of posting, theatre of operation's i.e Hong Kong had a Dragon under the regimental flash

I have an old cloth badge, which has been between the pages of the family bible for at least 50 years. It measures 2" square, is of white linen and has an embroidered insignia in blue of 3 crossed implements. One is a single headed axe, one a doubled headed axe or pick, or even a hammer and the third looks like a spindle.

The badge looks as though it was once stitched onto a sleeve. If anyone can tell me where it comes from I'd be very grateful.

Rosyrat. I can tell you with great certainty that the badge is that of "Artisan" in the Royal Navy. It was worn on the right, upper arm of action working dress. The badge and branch finished around 1960 to be replaced by "Mechanician". I was a Master at Arms in the Navy as per my avatar of a crown and laurel.

Is this the badge?? The spindle is a gun barrel. The star above indicated a 3rd class Artisan, maybe yours has no star which would indicate a 4th class Artisan. Hope this has helped.

72.jpg

Is this the badge?? The spindle is a gun barrel. The star above indicated a 3rd class Artisan, maybe yours has no star which would indicate a 4th class Artisan. Hope this has helped]

Jossman

I can't believe you provided the answer so quickly. I'm amazed and delighted. Thank you too to the others who have posted an answer to this thread. Ill now try to find out which member of my family it belonged to and where he served.

Thank you again - you are an absolute star.

Archived