J F Wilson of City Rd info/memories sought

I'll have a look see in to my archives.

Here is the bike today http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/?action=view&current=0fc35bcd.pbw the transfer on the Head tube is one of my own co's when I had it resprayed it looked odd without one so I stuck that one on it...Maybe one day I might restore it back to original.

Here is the bike today http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/?action=view&current=0fc35bcd.pbw the transfer on the Head tube is one of my own co's when I had it resprayed it looked odd without one so I stuck that one on it...Maybe one day I might restore it back to original.

Excellent. I never get bored of seeing another Wilson. I love the GB stem. If you have any older pictures, I't would be great to see them.

• 3 years later...
Hello,

I'm trying to compile information on the J F Wilson cycle shop on City Road. Does anyone have early memories/photos/info about the business which they would be willing to share? I am particularly interested in the early days, late 40's/ and 50's. Although anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am planning a 60th anniversary ride, to take place sometime this summer. The ride would be aimed at any cyclists wanting to take part. Though I would like to get as many Wilson's out of the sheds as possible. Do we have any/many Wilson bike owners on the forum?

Cheers,

Mark

I first walked into Jims shop in 1954 ,I was a member of Sheffield Pheonix aged 11, I had a paper round at The Manor top and just used to go to Jims shop for odds and ends.

I just used to stand at the counter listening to my hero,s talking about there exploits and remember some of the biggest names in British cycling visiting the shop.

Jim new that more than anything on earth i wanted a pair of proper Italian cycling shoes and i started saving coppers over the weeks so as i could get some, After a couple of weeks i was stood there as usual when Jim threw the box of Italian shoes to me and said try them on kid.

I started to tell him that i had not enough money saved up yet but he told not to bother about that and give it him If! and when i had it.

It took me quite a few weeks to save this money and i eventualy paid him back , he let me have all sorts of gear over the years and never once asked about the money and sometimes just used to give me stuff.

He is [was] just one of the greatest Sheffielders i have ever had the privalage to meet and i will never forget his generousity.

Hi, i can tell you all you'll ever want to know about J.F.Wilson Cycles...when i have posted 5 post on the sheffield forum i can then post messages & replies with links to some of my sites with my father and his teams etc..on

Re the petrol pump outside that was a parrafin stand out side the hard ware DIY shop just below us...long since gone sadly for society, to be replaced by souless B&Q's etc..

When i was a kid i used to love to see the different coloured parrafin through the little window...today they'd probably blow it up!

Archived