Liptons Supermarket

choci

Wasn,t there a Liptons at Firth Park in the 70,s? I think there was also one at Southey Green.

yep there sure was on Bellhouse road, it's now Bellhouse Rd newsagents. We used to do a lot of our shopping there. Once a week Mum used to walk us on with a shopping trolley to Hillards on lane top and for a treat we used to catch the free asda bus from Hatfield House Lane which took us to Chapeltown. Back in those days Chapeltown was miles away, it was a proper day trip:)

anyone remember a supermarket chain called Liptons from the 70's? They would have been trading around the same time as Hillards..

No one in my office remembers them but I swear I used to go in one as a nipper during the 70's..

I remember liptons it was in the haymarket just up from woolworths,i used to work there when i was 16 in 1963 it was just a small supermarket,i worked there for about a year.

There was also a Presto somewhere on Rockingham Way in the 80s which the last time I passed I think it was called What Everyone Wants.

and the What Everyone Wants is also closed down, and has been for many years. (I think it was also renamed "Gwhat-Shops" (SP?) for a while, too.

I remember a Liptons on the parade of shops below the White Horse Pub, on Halifax road, near the corner of Southey Green road, right into the Nineteen- eighties, and I'm sure I remember a Liptons at Gleadless Townend, where the Block Buster Video Shop was (Is?), opposite the Petrol Station?

I remember the Shentalls, on John O' Gaunt shops which became a Fine Fare, and the Shentalls on the parade of shops at Park Hill flats.

I also remember Gowers and Burgins on the John O'Gaunt shops.

I also remember Gowers and Burgins on the John O'Gaunt shops.

Used to be one in Ranmoor which became Toy Fayre (bit of a childhood dream on my doorstep in the 1970s and early 80s) and in turn was split into two with one side being a newsagent and the other a video shop.

The video shop (called Video Vault IIRC?) became La Mirage restaurant.

Both La Mirage and the newsagent closed and the premises are occupied by Ranmoor Tandoori.

There was one at Townend, it used to be where the estate agents and chemist is now, then there was Fine fare now somerfields or similar.

I can't remember what the Fine Fare at Townend was before it was a Fine Fare. my ex hub, who grew up by the post office at GTE, says to his knowlege it was always a FF. ( before it became a star / jacksons/ sainsburys.)

He grew up there and says Gower and Burgins became the Liptons on the strip where the estate agent/chemist is now, and "lacklustre" video was the co-op "stoo-ers"

the somerfield/ kwiksave was the old GTE Azena Ballroom, in the dim and distant past. (where the Beatles played their first Sheffield gig)

• 1 year later...

Archived