Petitions against badger culling

Good point! One would like to ask a theoretical question.

If this cull was allowed, then one accidently hits a Badger whilst driving along a country road, would you then be permitted to take the dead badger and cook it? or would you still commit an offence by killing an endangered species?

Not that I would, but in theory where would we stand?

In Australia, a man has been fined for skinning a (protected) koala he found dead on the road.

I am unsure of the position of an Australian returning to Oz from NZ with the skin of a possum (protected in Oz, so an offence to possess, but pest species in NZ, therefore legally trapped and skinned)

Why does this thread warrant a sticky? :huh:

I'm intrigued too. I was recently told that stickies were only for really serious events... or life and death. I don't really count a badger cull as life and death.

Is SF now seen to be condoning certain viewpoints? I assume since a SF team member has pinned the topic that SF is against badger culling and is trying to encourage people to sign the petition?

bah.

p.s I ain't signing.

Good point! One would like to ask a theoretical question.

If this cull was allowed, then one accidently hits a Badger whilst driving along a country road, would you then be permitted to take the dead badger and cook it? or would you still commit an offence by killing an endangered species?

Not that I would, but in theory where would we stand?

A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (3) above if he shows that—

(a) the badger had not been killed, or had been killed otherwise than in contravention of the provisions of this Act or of the [1973 c. 57.] Badgers Act 1973

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1992/ukpga_19920051_en_1#pb1-l1g1

I'm intrigued too. I was recently told that stickies were only for really serious events... or life and death. I don't really count a badger cull as life and death.

Is SF now seen to be condoning certain viewpoints? I assume since a SF team member has pinned the topic that SF is against badger culling and is trying to encourage people to sign the petition?

bah.

p.s I ain't signing.

I'm not signing the petition either. I also question why the thread deserves a sticky. If I start a thread in support of badger culling would that be given the same treatment? I doubt it.

Alternative view

The government has resisted a cull for years despite strong independant scientific evidence that they are a major carrier of bovine TB. The Welsh government is now proposing a trial so that the efficacy of a cull can be ascertained.

Why do badgers have so much support?

The biggest trial for years has just been completed and the conclusion was that culling did not stop the spread of Bovine TB.

Maybe you should be asking why, in the face of expensive govt backed research, do they still insist on killing Britain's wildlife?

Archived