Recommendations for Italian Restaurants

p1tst0p

What do you think to La Gondola, thinking of going on Valentine's :love:

I havent been... However my best mate has (and she's an eye for detail like me)... and she reckons the food is lovely, but the decor, tables and chairs are all very old and mis-matched...

I like a restaurant that looks stunning... with lovely food to match... But I am a picky so and so, so if you aint that bothered and you'll be too busy drooling over ya fella, then by all means go! :D

Hi Everyone,

I'm just new and this is my first post but I promised myself to comment on the La Romantica experience we had.

Recently moved to Sheffield, so trying to explore good restaurants guided by the Forum. There is an article about La Romantica in the Exposed magazine (August) with very good comment. Checking the Forum overall impressions were also good.

So we booked for Saturday night (rang at half 6), no problems for 8.15. Waste of time, because the whole upstairs was empty. Next surprise they don't take cards. So I had to go to Waitrose for some cash. Coming back, I noticed that a downstairs window table is free so we moved down. Staff was a bit upset about it, and left a pile of cutlery on the table. :confused:

The house wine was OK, the starter garlic bread nice, the olives awful, just out of a jar with brine. The main (pizza emiliana (?) and fillet steak) was again nice but nothing special. The best was the dessert (chocolate pancake and copa de la casa), dangerously creamy. Bill £32.

Overall not the best italian we had, 6/10, but is it the best in town? Further research needed.:help:

Hey, In response to this thread... I'm not sure if you've even eaten here!!!

I have been eating at LA ROMANTICA for many years now...at least 17 out of the 27 years that its been open and I have never had a bad meal...or service for that matter. First of all, the olives are served in a garlic and chilli oil so i'm not sure where you got the brine bit from :confused: The food is far beyond just nice... yeah its not fancily presented, but you do get large portions and it always tastes amazing.

I can't understand why you would have been seated upstairs either because the upstairs room is only used if downstairs is full or you make a particular request. Maybe the restaurant was full at the time when you came, and only later a table became available downstairs.

Yeah...downside they don't accept cards, but with a little planning and preparation before hand its not difficult to take cash, and if not Waitrose is hardly miles away.

I eat at LA ROMANTICA at least once a week and have taken different guests with me on several occasions, all have given me positive feedback. This restaurant has been open 27 years with the same chef for around 20 years. The staff are friendly and helpful and I will continue to eat at LA ROMANTICA for many years to come. LA ROMANTICA gets an all round thumbs up from me :thumbsup: Definitely 10/10 the best Italian in Sheffield.

I would also recommend early booking at weekends to avoid disappointment as it does get VERY busy 78 London Road, Sheffield, S2 4LR 0114 2724641

I am not entirely bothered about decor but what is the best most authentic Italian food in Sheffield?

Any suggestions gratefullt welcome.

thanks

Definitely... LA ROMANTICA, 78 london road, sheffield, S2 4LR

It has been open 27 years and caters for a wide range of people, eg children, veggies. A great all round dining experience. :)

La Luna on Ecclesall Road (near the Banner Cross) is a really good Italian. Excellent food, superb staff and prices are more than reasonable. (Fillet Steak for around £12) BYO wine and they dont charge corkage. I take my better half there for special occasions and we never leave dissappointed!

:thumbsup:

I havent been... However my best mate has (and she's an eye for detail like me)... and she reckons the food is lovely, but the decor, tables and chairs are all very old and mis-matched...

I like a restaurant that looks stunning... with lovely food to match... But I am a picky so and so, so if you aint that bothered and you'll be too busy drooling over ya fella, then by all means go! :D

haha cheers... ye its the "company" isn't it hehe.

He's booked it, so all sorted. Should be nice!

And he'll be paying... top night! :clap:

Archived