Islamic preacher Abu Qatada extradition MEGATHREAD

• 1 month later...

Qatada has now had over half a million in legal aid alone, and total cost to taxpayers of over £3million to keep this foreign terrorist's "rights" protected. It seems crazy when we're making cuts all over the place that a terrorist like this can leach so much money from us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9748478/Half-a-million-legal-aid-bill-for-Qatada-battle.html

Qatada has now had over half a million in legal aid alone, and total cost to taxpayers of over £3million to keep this foreign terrorist's "rights" protected. It seems crazy when we're making cuts all over the place that a terrorist like this can leach so much money from us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9748478/Half-a-million-legal-aid-bill-for-Qatada-battle.html

Qatada hasn't had a penny. His legal representatives will have pocketed all that. Everyone is entitled to proper legal representation regardless of what the public think of them.

Nothing suprises me anymore. I watched a film called Idiocracy and this country is becoming more like the film every day.

Funnily enough Wikipedia says that this film attacks inept legal representation so it may have been in favour of legal aid.

"Joe....makes his way to a hospital, where he discovers the year is 2505. He is arrested for not paying his hospital bill, and for not having a bar code tattoo. Frito, still mad about his broken apartment, turns out to be his trial lawyer, and his inept representation makes sure that Joe is sent to jail".

I got to thinking this morning after reading this article , what would happen if The Government just put him on a plane to Jordan anyway. ? Obviously Jordan wouldnt refuse to accept him ,as they desperately want him anyway ,and that would just leave the interfering bureaucrats at the EU Human Rights place. What ,if anything could they Actually do about it. Send a strongly worded letter to Downing St ? Condemn the British Government on the TV ? A little sabre Rattling from Brussels ? In all honesty i doubt they could do anything if we just chucked him on a plane tomorrow headed for Jordan.

What did I say about moronic do-gooders?

I just pointed out that the film you quoted wasn't really anything to do with the Qatada case. Your ignorance doesn't alter the facts that legal aid exists for people who need legal representation and who can't afford it. This applies to murderers, rapists, drug dealers and loads of other people we may not like. But it exists not because the country is run by moronic do-gooders but because for the justice system to be fair everyone has to benefit from a decent level of legal representation regardless of their income. A bid of rabid ranting on your part isn't going to alter the legal system.

I agree, it’s ridiculous that we will refuse to fund life saving drugs and at the same time we pay millions out in benefits and legal fees to allow people like him to stay in the country.

He came here illegally in 1993, and has never contributed to the UK economy, never paid a penny of tax; and yet he has cost at least £500,000 in benefits.

Archived