Subway/underpass at top of The Moor

Hi all.

This has been on my mind a bit now.

Can anyone tell me when the subway at the top of the moor closed?

This is the one that brings you out at McDonalds from Pinstone Street.

I can remember going through it in the 80s and seem to remember there were toilets in it also. Seeing it all gated off now makes me think is it going to stay closed or get filled in?

Many thanks!

It has not been filled in.

The Ramp next to the bus stop at the top of the moor is still there with a gate at the bottom. The other 3 entrances have all gone. The ventilation outlet in the central reservation is still there.

It costs a great deal of money to fill in an underground feature like this. Especially when you bear in mind that the toilets under the road, will stretch to the door of the nelson or thereabouts.

The top of the road would have to be removed and the hole filled in with solid material which will not subside later.

With so much construction in the area and the prospect of all the buildings adjacent being demolished in the next decade. It would make much more sense, and be less cost to remove the underground space by filling it with concrete rubble from the old buildings at the same time.

Ahh thanks muddycoffee for that info!

I would love to go and explore it and see what its like these days, ancient graffitti from past decades etc. No doubt it will eventually go like the hole in the road though.

Maybe with the rise in traffic etc, it could be re-opened at some point who knows.

Why don't they use the space down there to take the road under the pedestrians?

And what happened to the fly under (if that's what they're called) that used to be on Arundel gate. I heard at one point it would be turned into an undergound access tunnel for loading in the new council buildings. Does anyone know?

Why don't they use the space down there to take the road under the pedestrians?

And what happened to the fly under (if that's what they're called) that used to be on Arundel gate. I heard at one point it would be turned into an undergound access tunnel for loading in the new council buildings. Does anyone know?

I agree Titus, it should be reopened for us pedestrians.

Whereabouts on Arundel Gate was the flyunder?

Do you mean the tunnel that used to go under the road just outside Berlins or do you mean the subway network at the roundabout where Office World was on the corner?

The roundabout with the subway network was filled in and grassed over some years ago and in the early 2000's the road tunnel outside Berlins was filled in to surface level when Arundel Gate was redeveloped.

Another question though now...when was the subway at the top of the Moor actually opened???

I thought it was filled in, silly me again! I'd love to explore down there now too. The gents loo's i remember do go right back to Nelson House. It's a shame the council let these sorts of "land marks" get so run down and then eventually close them. With the amount of traffic coming at you from all directions its a shame it's closed.

There is another underpass at the bottom of London Road, not so stylish though. Is this the only one left in the town center?

Archived