Subway/underpass at top of The Moor

I thought it was filled in, silly me again! I'd love to explore down there now too. The gents loo's i remember do go right back to Nelson House. It's a shame the council let these sorts of "land marks" get so run down and then eventually close them. With the amount of traffic coming at you from all directions its a shame it's closed.

There is another underpass at the bottom of London Road, not so stylish though. Is this the only one left in the town center?

Is my memory correct that there was a pedestrian walkway (covered) that went up to Howard Street, past the cinema, following the new road edge from the old hole in the road?

Why don't they use the space down there to take the road under the pedestrians?

Because you cannot get a 14 foot high double deck bus under a subway which is only about 8 foot high. A road subway would be an unbelieveably expensive and enormous undertaking. To do this you would require a T shaped junction underground and to be safe ( not too steep ) each slope would have to be 200 metres long and there isn't room for slopes that long because Charter square and Furnival Square are less than 400 metres apart.

Is my memory correct that there was a pedestrian walkway (covered) that went up to Howard Street, past the cinema, following the new road edge from the old hole in the road?

There was / is an underground path which I used to use when I attended Sheffield Polytechnic. I don't think it went as far as the hole in the road though. Just as far as the Roxy.

I thought it was filled in, silly me again! I'd love to explore down there now too. The gents loo's i remember do go right back to Nelson House. It's a shame the council let these sorts of "land marks" get so run down and then eventually close them. With the amount of traffic coming at you from all directions its a shame it's closed.

There is another underpass at the bottom of London Road, not so stylish though. Is this the only one left in the town center?

no, there are underpasses that take pedestrians under the roundabout at the back of debenhams, on Charter Square, and there are underpasses at the waitrose roundabout by upper Hanover street, and one under the same dual carriageway, Upper Hanover Street near Broomhall St, (there's also a set of underpasses back toward the train staion, at the roundabout by St Mary's Church)

Because you cannot get a 14 foot high double deck bus under a subway which is only about 8 foot high. A road subway would be an unbelieveably expensive and enormous undertaking. To do this you would require a T shaped junction underground and to be safe ( not too steep ) each slope would have to be 200 metres long and there isn't room for slopes that long because Charter square and Furnival Square are less than 400 metres apart.

I think it meant for pedestrians on foot.

Anyone know if the toilets are still in there and usable (should the subway ever be reopened!) or were they removed so that the subway would never be reopened?

Archived