Wedding flowers

Hi Poppy, if you're still wanting opinions, here are mine...

I'm having a quite tightly packed shower bouquet of white and purple/white calla lillies with simple dark foliage around the edge to set it off against my dress. My bridesmaids are having simple posies of tightly packed cream roses with rolled aspidistra leaves around the edges.

Personally, the flowers were really important to me and I spent ages looking at pics on the internet and friends' flowers etc. I wanted them to be simple but also make a statement with them... I think I'm basically going for 'traditional with a contemporary twist'! I never considered artificial flowers cos I love the real ones too much and there are no issues with hay fever etc.

Hope that helps :)

Do you know what colours you are having for your bridesmaids? You could match the silk ribbon round your posies and in the pearls in the bouquet to your bridesmaids colours. What are the flowers that you have seen on E Bay like? £100 sounds a lot for something you wont get to see up close until you've paid for it. I made my own wedding flowers and put the money we saved towards the honeymoon, its your day, do what feels right for you and your OH.

I'm going to be learning how to make all styles of wedding flowers in Febuary at Sheffield College. I'm thinking of offering a silk flower floristry service after that, do you think anyone would be interested ?

I'd be interested!!!

Whilst i was looking for a florist for my wedding i came across this florist http://flowersforlaura.com/. Sarah is very lovely and although she already has a wedding on the same day as mine she went to great lengths to find me a florist that is perfect for what I want.

I love the idea behind her website, with the amount of money we spending on our wedding I think this is a really lovely idea. I haven't seen her flowers but i cannot rate her customer service highly enough. I look forward to being able to use her in the future and would gladly recommend her to any of my friends.

I've got a few bits for the bridesmaids to carry, the slightly older girls are carrying a wand each and the tiny ones teddies, both decorated with burgandy and ivory roses but I'd quite like real flowers for me and the adult bridesmaids. I'd need them to match the girls stuff, basically the roses with a bit of greenery. Does anyone know a florist who would do this without pushing me to buy more as I dont want flowers all over the venue, and what kind of price I'd be looking at?

We're using Monica Hewitt in Hillsborough and they have been absolutely brilliant - there was no hard sell in us having other flowers we didn't want and they spent so much time in making sure the colour roses we wanted were right. We must have spent about 2 hours in there one evening going through everything we wanted and they couldn't have been more helpful. Helen was the lady we spoke to. Very reasonable as well.

We're using Monica Hewitt in Hillsborough too! I emailed a few florists and Helen from there gave me the most detailed reponse, which i took as a good sign, so i went to see her before considering any others. At the meeting, which must have lasted over an hour, Helen was very helpful in helping me with the colours.

She also helps considerably with making sure you get something you like for the budget you have, and will try and help you cut costs where possible. For example, I liked the idea of a bunch of cala lilies which would cost upwards of £70 - £80. Helen sugessted that I just have a 2 or 3 rather than a big bunch as the flowers, all being the same, will get lost within a big bunch and this will save me money.

Obviously haven't seen the flowers yet, but service has been very good so far!

Archived