Banksy - scum or genius?

So Is Banksy Scum Or Genuis?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. So Is Banksy Scum Or Genuis?

• Scum
    • Genuis

I spent a long time looking through his art-work and it's absolutely wonderful. It's in no way similar to 'street tagging' (although TBH I don't really mind that either!). Good art always has a tough time when it's as challenging as his obviously is. I think the comments made THCAyle may be poorly informed. There is obvious technical and original skill involved in his work although at a glance some of his pieces are basic but contextually so.

I find his work really refreshing and not like a lot of other street art and instead of defacing the building and streets he has worked (as some critics claim) it adds to them and 'fits' the areas he's generally working in. I feel his art is well thought out and even the 'drips' on some of his seem deliberate.

I love it, thank you OP for the introduction to this.

Im not poorly informed in any way,trust me.There is no Skill,anyone can do stencils,try some proper graff and there's the challenge.

I can see where you're coming from, but anyone can do anything if they take the time to train. I'm not a graffiti artist, but I'm confident that with enough practice I could produce a piece that is of a good standard.

The technical aspect is not the difficult part of creativity, it's the ideas. Anyone can pick up a pencil/spraycan/Photoshop/Illustrator and learn how to use it. Taking time to produce work that provokes thought and debate is the hard part.

Like it or not, Banksy's work has done that on a national level. I'm not trying to say he's in any way high-art or genius (he's neither), or even original, but he has produced work which a large number of people feel is more interesting than the average graffiti artist.

And still,noone has even answered me.

What is there to answer? Most people have already said they do/do not like Banksy or do/do not like tagging. Nobody is trying to glorify anything here, or claim that Banksy's work is in anyway more 'legal' because they think it looks better.

I wouldn't go as far to say that he is a genius, but he has got the balls and bravado in som eof the things that he does.

I wouldn't necessarily buy his work either. Sorry!

Who I think as brilliant is the lady (it has to be a woman) who leaves a lovely piece of Dove cucumber Soap in our office toilet which brightens the work day of many colleagues. :)

I once thought about writing a poen to this lady as homage to her work, since I really appreciated her attention to detail.

I think it's such a shame that everyone go about their daily lives that they don't necessarily take time out to see the world. Banksy just take controversy and highlight it to people and make it look mundane. To the West, it's self expression. To a 3rd world country, it's just dirt on a wall !

In a way, it is connection the the general masses, but... it speaks volume of us as a society though!

No one answered the fact the glorifying banksy's illegal work and slating your average tagger is complete hypocrisy.

I hear what your saying **** but to come up with the kind of letter-forms some writers can produce in my opinion takes alot more creativity than coming up with an idea for a stencil.

No one answered the fact the glorifying banksy's illegal work and slating your average tagger is complete hypocrisy.

Three posters replied, and stated that it isn't hypocritical to prefer one persons artwork to anothers.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about that.

I hear what your saying **** but to come up with the kind of letter-forms some writers can produce in my opinion takes alot more creativity than coming up with an idea for a stencil.

It all depends what's on the stencil doesn't it...

it's not your fault your opinions wrong