Club nights at carling academy???

owl4eva

Well 2000 plus people in one venue, on a friday night, in sheffield, cant be that bad really.
I said I didn't know if it was true. I'm probably going this weekend so i'll find out for myself.

There were also probably 2000+ in embrace as well. Are you saying thats good?

I actually went to the academy last night. I was really quite drunk so my memories are a little hazy but for what its worth heres my opinion.

Firstly the bad stuff.

Theres nothing bad about the venue. It was kind of hard to find the second room but thats probably my fault rather than the venues. Its also huge so there didn't seem to be much of an atmosphere. I'm not saying it was devoid of atmosphere, its just difficult to create one in a room that size.

Now the good stuff.

The venue is very open, well designed, clean, attractive and everything you'd expect from a new venue. Keeping it that way will be the challenge. The staff and security staff were helpful, polite and generally seemed well motivated.

Now the general stuff.

The venue is very obviously designed for live music rather than as a club and it will be a tremendous place to see a live band, sadly theres not been any bands there yet that i've wanted to see but when there is i'll deffo be back. The sound system didn't seem too clear or very powerful but maybe thats my drunken memory rather than the reality.

It didn't seem massively busy despite the enormous queues outside but maybe thats just because its such a massive building you need loads of people before it feels really busy.

The music was ok, sort of indie/dance nu-rave stuff in the main room from what i remember and sort of electro/tech stuff in the back room, i like the back room enormously but again its laid out for live music rather than for dj's which is no bad thing.

Overall i really liked it, i'll be back and I can't wait to see some bands there. It'll be interesting to see how the club nights work because its really only going to work for trance nights and probably Hed Kandi will do well there.

As a venue its superb, its great that sheffield has a venue this size right in the city centre and lets face it Sheffield's nightlife needs all the venues it can get. Its obvious that a whole pile of money has been spent on it and its a venue we can rightly be proud of and we should use and support it. For live music its going to be great i'm not wholly convinced it will bring much to sheffields clubbing scene though. But more power to Matt and the team for starting it off right.

Only thing I can suggest is you give it a go and make your own mind up

"The music was ok, sort of indie/dance nu-rave stuff in the main room from what i remember and sort of electro/tech stuff in the back room"

Could you elaborate on that, i.e. name some of the bands played? I'm really intrigued by Transmission and am wanting to see what it's like after reading Joy Division on one of the posters, but from the sound of that it's more dance/electronica. Is it dance music or the alt side of electro, e.g. NIN/Ladytron/Depeche Mode??

Any info appreciated!

"The music was ok, sort of indie/dance nu-rave stuff in the main room from what i remember and sort of electro/tech stuff in the back room"

Could you elaborate on that, i.e. name some of the bands played? I'm really intrigued by Transmission and am wanting to see what it's like after reading Joy Division on one of the posters, but from the sound of that it's more dance/electronica. Is it dance music or the alt side of electro, e.g. NIN/Ladytron/Depeche Mode??

Any info appreciated!

I'm really sorry I can't remember individual records I was really too drunk, in a far worse state than i usually get into and i'm suffering now!

From the little I remember the main room seemed to be sort of new indie guitar based bands like Klaxons etc. I didn't hear anything old or classic.

The back room was straight dance music. It wasn't any of the bands you mentioned or anything like that

Any info appreciated!

The main room had bands like Wombats, Pigeon Detectives, Arctic Monkeys, Reverend and the Makers and a few older songs (even a couple of dance classics thrown in)

I think the smaller room had a DJ doing their own mixes of stuff (as opposed to just playing songs) - who I thought was excellent. There were mixes of Justice, NIN, Digitalism, Wiley, all sorts really. It was very house/electro based.

I think the small room works really well for club nights. The main room is maybe a bit too big for it, but there was still atmosphere there but it was nice to be able to move around and not be squashed in like sardines constantly having to shift for people to get past.

The trance idea of Discodown's would work really well I think. I hope some one tries it out (and brings some lasers with them ;)).

Archived