Anything going on for Chinese new year?

eddies32

Shamefully, I live within shouting distance of Sharrow Chinatown but have never, in a full decade seen the new year stuff. I saw the lion/ dragon thing one year as I came out of the subway, but that was by chance. I will definitely be there this time. :thumbsup:

What animal is it going to be this year?

It will be the Year of the Pig

Yeh, it's the year of the pig. :)

I think Rooster was in year 2005. Last year's was the year of the dog. After a while, I lose count.. cos I don't want to be reminding myself of my age! :P

PT: Sun Lin Fi Lok !

("Happy New Year" in Cantonese. Excuse the bad pingyum. I don't understand the different translation system myself, so I write as it sounds.)

If someone says to you, "Kung hai fa Choy", you could say "Like See Dow Loy" ! (="Give us a red packet" :D ) Do this with a hand cupping gesture. I wonder if this would set off a new trend in the city. (People are supposed to give you a small red envelope with money inside! Though, I can see people be mean, and maybe give a sweet or something. Only married couples, and employers do this.) :hihi:

(People are supposed to give you a small red envelope with money inside! Though, I can see people be mean, and maybe give a sweet or something. Only married couples, and employers do this.)

my mum always sends me a new year card and a red envelope with some money in.

(and we're not even chinese- my mums lovely! :love:)

x

• 2 weeks later...
my mum always sends me a new year card and a red envelope with some money in.

(and we're not even chinese- my mums lovely! :love:)

x

Yes indeedy! :o

It's nice when you're still unmarried and receive these little red envelopes. I think I will cry buckets when I do marry. :hihi:

you can also offer food like a oranges with the packet.

so who it the troupe that is doing the dance.

I dunno who they are myself, but I know that the Chinese Sunday school have their own parade round the city this year. I think it's a dragon that's going round town this year. There's also an article in the Telegraph a little while back.

However, I've just seen a group of performers doing the lion dance tonight, which I thought was pretty well done. :) (Whoever was being the back end of the lion had a great wiggle! lol. It gave the lion an animated look.) I didn't quite catch the logo on this team's t-shirts. I have heard of the ones in China being able to jump on stilts! Not sure whether this is true or not. Or maybe they do a type of martial arts since young or something...

Archived