The alpine man 1970's

deano

Does anybody remember the alpine man?

A big lorry type vehicle used to turn up round our way (gleadless) on a thursday,i think (only used to see him on school hols) with crates of fizzy pop,he had young lads that worked on the lorry who's job it was to distribute the pop to various houses,was always impressed as a kid that they could carry two bottles of pop in one hand.

The prices if i remember was really cheap,something like 7p for big bottle,we always ended up with about five bottles,pineapple was my favourite.:)

I used to work for first syds and then alpine and believe me if the lad could only carry two bottles in each hand he was no good

I used to work for first syds and then alpine and believe me if the lad could only carry two bottles in each hand he was no good

There was also Davenports, they used to deliver beer as well as pop, and I think ice cream, I THINK they had a garage in Upperthorpe.

I remember the alpine man, he used to go to my grans house (blackstock road) on Saturday teatime, they used to carry about 4 bottles in each hand!!

We lived at Heeley and I was dead jealous that we didn't have the alpine man, that was until my dad brought home a Sodastream!! I was so impressed with that, mind you I was about 10.

We used to have SYDS in Rawmarsh. Funny little bottles with a rubbery shaped cork. Lots of different flavours too. But I remember my parents also saying Hagues (as in Williams family) used to deliver our pop too.

My aunty and uncle had Davenports Beer at Home.

Mmm, American Cream soda, Dandelion and Burdock and Raspberryade!

I think we must have had the same Alpine man!

We lived at Grenoside and had the exact same, plus a Pineapple.

Seem to think the lorry was a "sh**y brown" colour with the ALPINE in big yellow letters.

Jim:thumbsup:

Archived