American Diner / Cafe

When I think diner's I either think small towns in Montana with fantastic micro-brew and great simple local food or something a little more urbane as you might find in the likes of Seattle, Pheonix, Houston etc. perhaps with more of an eye to the local specialities and perhaps slightly more upmarket menus.

Dancing singing staff...every thirty minutes - I'd rather have my eyes burned out with the sparklers in my innuenduously named cocktail!

Don't forget there are an awful of of American old trad diners that are semi derelict, and on the slide, with miserable staff and cardboard burgers......and the only dancing you will see are the cockroaches in the kitchen doing the tango. I have seen some real slums 'off the beaten track'.........

New York...twice

California, Nevada & the west coast....once

Boston & New England....once

South Carolina....Once

Florida.....3 times

And Boston/Cape Cod & New Engalnd again in 12 weeks

I think you'll find I have a good idea of what an American diner is :hihi:

Ok fair enough, I've been to all those places too, I was making tongue in cheek comment about their cheapness.

Can anyone remember a little place from the 80s/90s called Barton's on Glossop Road - (where the new Sinclair's building is now). It was a lovely little place - designed on a New York style diner. Fantastic home made burgers & onion rings, and the best pizzas ever - 24" thin crust baked in a big pizza oven.

Hmmmm - my stomach's rumbling just thinking about it !!!!

Yes I remember this place, excellent pizzas, wasn't it called something else just before it closed ....white rock diner?.... or is senility setting in!

What would all you guys and girls think to an american cafe / diner serving freshly homemade american food such as chilli, pancakes , beef burgers , chicken and all typical american food. the diner would also serve milkshakes , american lager , and hot drinks etc. the diner would be a typical american surrondings so you would feel like you are in america, with american music and staff ! . the opening times would be 8am till 8pm serving brekfast , lunch and dinner , but if you dont want to eat you could drop by for a drink or two. the location would be either west street , meadowhall or Ecclesall road . do you guys and girls think that this place would work, any ideas / feedback would be much appreciated. :-)

Someone should just open a TacoBell over here!

Here's an idea....

How about a British themed dinner... offering new twist on traditional British food, with a twist of the American diner style... you could have British Music, themed nights (Madchester, Britpop, 60's etc) where the staff dress up in the style of the time, you could serve local brews, using local sourced produce.... you could have stuff on the menu that evokes our diverse nation, maybe a burger with a local pickle and chedar or "made" pasta using local vegs and meats, but offer things like "home made" pie and peas, sheperds pie and just a simple ploughmans on nice bread, tasty cheeses and fresh salad that you could also sell for the lunchtime crowd... we could add in the traditional english curry too ;)

How many places do you see with non discript cheese, ham that processed, chicken that tastes of nothing and mayo complete with a scummy edge ! How about upping the game a little ?

Here's an idea....

How about a British themed dinner... offering new twist on traditional British food, with a twist of the American diner style... you could have British Music, themed nights (Madchester, Britpop, 60's etc) where the staff dress up in the style of the time, you could serve local brews, using local sourced produce.... you could have stuff on the menu that evokes our diverse nation, maybe a burger with a local pickle and chedar or "made" pasta using local vegs and meats, but offer things like "home made" pie and peas, sheperds pie and just a simple ploughmans on nice bread, tasty cheeses and fresh salad that you could also sell for the lunchtime crowd... we could add in the traditional english curry too ;)

How many places do you see with non discript cheese, ham that processed, chicken that tastes of nothing and mayo complete with a scummy edge ! How about upping the game a little ?

:love::love: hurry up and open this!!! :hihi:

Archived