Old Cole Bros - Clarks Shoe Department

docmel

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I remember the foot x-ray machine, not particularly in Coles but in a shoe shop on Fargate. My ex-husband, a US citizen, remembers seeing the machines in NY in the early 50s. We were just discussing them last week and how we didn't realise how dangerous they were at the time.

I think just up untill 15-20 years ago many children had their shoes "fitted" sometime before the big malls opened, although I don't remember the machines in Coles but I know they were famous for their Clarks shoes, I use to walk around just to smell the leather shoes and gloves, you could always see posh people trying on the leather driving gloves.

I don't remember the x-ray machine but I do recall n electric foot measuring machine in Peter Lords on Fargate. It was a platform that you stood on and put your foot into a hole whereupon the lady pressed a button and silver blocks slid out between toe and heel then two more to measure the width. Oddly I can't find any images of it on the net.

I don't remember the x-ray machine but I do recall n electric foot measuring machine in Peter Lords on Fargate. It was a platform that you stood on and put your foot into a hole whereupon the lady pressed a button and silver blocks slid out between toe and heel then two more to measure the width. Oddly I can't find any images of it on the net.

That's the foot-measuring device that I remember, Tony.

That's the foot-measuring device that I remember, Tony.

I used to work at Peter Lords in the early '70's and remember that machine very well.

It was a baptism of fire when new people started with us to go down to the basement, where the kids department was, on a Saturday, and measure a bunch of kids feet, especially when it was the last thing in the world they wanted to be doing!...talk about 'Some Mothers do 'av 'em' !!

All that being said - very happy memories and met the girl of my dreams while I was there.....pity she buggered off with my best mate about a year later!!

Archived