What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Originally posted by purplepippa

Anyone miss Pjyama Jump??

Yeah. I missed it a couple of times :hihi: (Victorian berluddy father :mad: )

What killed it? We were amazed it had finally bitten the dust when we returned to Sheffield.

Was it meningitis?

Originally posted by Strix

Yeah. I missed it a couple of times :hihi: (Victorian berluddy father :mad: )

What killed it? We were amazed it had finally bitten the dust when we returned to Sheffield.

Was it meningitis?

I think it was people dying of alcohol poisoning and hypothermia. Seriously!

And increase in rapes that night each year too.

I think it was people dying of alcohol poisoning and hypothermia. Seriously!

So the annual statistic of the one eejit who jumped through the hole in the road didn't do it, but alcohol poisoning did?

I thought that was par for the course most weekends?

And increase in rapes that night each year too.

You'd have to be careful committing that crime on that night :hihi:

(Sorry, was that too sick?)

Originally posted by dishwasher

Butler's cafe, near Jessops Hospital.

Their meat and potato pie was superb.

The place was a bit rudimentary, but the food was top draw and cheap.

I think Picasso once had a meal there.

The women who served the food called Yorkshire Puddings 'Yorks' if my memory serves me well.

ahhh i remember that place used to be on the pinball machine on there all the time dont no if the food was any good as i only used to have pop:)

I know this might sound funny but I would bring back a part of Attercliffe that made a great impression on me.

In 1979/1980 I was engaged to a girl who lived in Attercliffe in a road full of terraced houses that had the canal running along a cutting at the back of the houses.

The road - Chippingham Street - had a lot of character. It was a great contrast to the souless, bland housing estates that were in Bournemouth - where I still live to this day.

(Well, someone's got to live here!!)

I suppose there will be many who think that Chippingham Street - and others like it - in the 1970's were old, grimey and only fit for pulling down. But it will always stick with me walking down Chippingham Street on a late November evening in 1979 with my soon-to-be fiancee to the house on Shirland Lane where her gran lived, who I was meeting for the first time.

In June 1980 I moved up from Bournemouth to get married and we lived in a house on Middlewood Road - where Gilders the VW showrooms is now situated. By then Chippingham Street - and the streets around it - had been emptied and demolished.

After my fiancee went off with someone else 5 days after I moved up, I went back one evening to the site of the house on Chippingham Street. The only way to you could tell where the house stood was by looking for the orange paint on the back yard wall that marked the spot where the outside brick-loo once stood.

Now, nearly 25 years later, and even though I'm now married with 2 children, if there was one place I could bring back, it would be Chippingham Street.

Cheers

Patrick

Ps.... I'm still in contact with her mum and dad to this day and was only speaking to them the night before last. Before I moved back to Bournemouth in August 1980, her mum and gran told me that someday when I get married, I was to bring my wife up to Sheffield to meet them.

So, in 1989 I took my wife up there to meet her mum, dad and her Gran - (my ex-fiancee was told to stay away and not come anywhere near the house during my visit....hehehe!!) It was quite a reunion where my wife was made an "honoury" daughter...... :)

Blue and cream buses with conductors (the buses ran faster)

Coppers on point duty (no more waiting at red lights when you're the only bugger there)

Redgates (toy shop with REAL toys)

Both teams in the top flight (wake up man!!)

Archived