What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Can anybody remember the ragman coming round the streets with his wheelbarrow? He used to just shout ...Ragmaaaaaan...and then we used to go running out to him with any old clothing and get a balloon in return.

I lived at owlerton back then in the seventies so not sure if he went anywhere else.

Originally posted by Carmine

I miss the strange subterranean world of the underpasses and the Hole in the Road...particularly the fishtank.

Must agree - I miss the fishees in the hole in the road.

Does anyone know what happened to them ?

also Redgates - a fine shop ! (yes i am 27 going on 7 !)

I miss playing football on the rec in Hillsborough park. We used to play from early morning til it went dark with games varying from 2 a side to 15 a side- and there wasn't dog muck all over the place like there seems to be now. Although thinking about it, there was the odd crunchy white dog turd........what happened to them? and what did dogs used to eat them days that they don't now?

Ho Hum...................................

Roger Gould's toy shop at Banner Cross.

A suburban toy shop that was stuffed to the gills with great stuff, from those rubbish practical jokes (fake ink blots, pretend fags, black face soap, tea spoons with holes in them etc) to Action Man stuff, to bikes, to novelty rubbers, to... well, everything you could want.

I loved Redgates of course but it always seemed to be somewhere you went to gaze in awe, rather than actually spend money. So in the scheme of things, I probably blew far more Christmas and birthday cash in Roger Goulds than I ever did in Redgates. No wonder it shut!!!

Plain Clothes

X clothes

Rebina shoes

The fletchers man and buying elephants feet (buns)

Butterscotch ready brek(not a Sheff thing but where did it go?)

Romeo and Juliets.

The Limit

The Hallamshire as it was.

Millhouses lido

Greasy Veras

disliked the late night buses , very weird a bus full of drunk people.

my old job @ the Broomhilll Friery circa 1981! Used to be the best chippy in Sheffield!

But seriously...miss much of Broomhill...Wollertons, Bowyer the Butcher...when Williamsons was on the corner, Eric Gilbert Carpets, ..oh and best of all the paraffin dispensing machine on the same corner...did I imagine that?!

I miss the Hornblower pub..... and the old Brushes building (with the haunted tower). Ask in a few months and I'll be able to add the Yorkshire Grey pub, which will no doubt have been demolished by then to make way for another sad modern build that might last 20 years before someone thinks better of it and pulls the whole thing down.

I miss the fountain at the top of Fargate :( Used to love that when I was a kid and it actually worked. MY mate remembers getting thrown into it during rag week :)

Archived