What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Atterclife baths Brown Baileys Worksop road and the trams I used to catch going to school. And the netting on the tram windows during the war and the very dim light they had at night. And doing my homework on a tram in the upstairs bay.

But mainly the trams.

Rafe ,

From what you've written , I think I'm a bit younger than you [d.o.b.1941 ] but , of course I remember the trams and how attractive , useful and reliable they were.

The big advantage of the old trams over the "Supertram" is that they were smaller in scale and so could reach further into small streets , without too much trouble. The problem with the Supertram is that so many people live so far from it. They won't catch a bus or walk in the cold and rain only then to have to catch the tram , followed , perhaps by another walk !

In other words the Supertram is too big. Sheffield needed something , "dinkier" , more flexible----really , we just needed to have modified the old tram system.

• 3 weeks later...

The Wicker as it used to be, great 'dive' pubs, Classic Cinema Fitzallen Sq, Marples downstairs bar, Nelson, Penthouse, Wap, Albert, Wimpy Bar across from Debenhams, Crazy Daisy, Walsh's, Redgates, Fancy dress shop at the bottom of the moor, Co-op, Atkinsons restaurant with pianist. Chapel walk had a little cafe with chinese decoration and a dumb waiter. Oh and Horns they had a cafe too.

Originally posted by Babsbabs

The Wicker as it used to be, great 'dive' pubs, Classic Cinema Fitzallen Sq, Marples downstairs bar, Nelson, Penthouse, Wap, Albert, Wimpy Bar across from Debenhams, Crazy Daisy, Walsh's, Redgates, Fancy dress shop at the bottom of the moor, Co-op, Atkinsons restaurant with pianist. Chapel walk had a little cafe with chinese decoration and a dumb waiter. Oh and Horns they had a cafe too.

The Wicker used to be a cracking good stag night run and a good alternative to West Street. Twice round the Wicker then into a club.

Hare and Hounds - Red Lion – Big Gun - White Lion - Brown Cow – Bull and Oak - Station Hotel - Viaduct – Harlequin – The Lady’s Bridge, The Manchester and the Hole in the Wall were not strictly the Wicker, but we used to fit them in.

The one thing I miss about the old Wicker was the community spirit about the place. And the ladies were very generous with their affections. :)

Roads,streets and pavements without the ruts, holes and bumps.

Oh how I remember the roads of old in Sheffield when you could even ride a bike comfortably without having to swerve to avoid all the death traps.

Maybe Sheffield is ready for a change in politics.

Happy Days!

I to miss the old trams, we used to all sit in the bay doing our homework that should have been done the night before.

I might be wrong but did you be able to post a letter in a box attached to the tram which dropped it of at the post office in town. last post at 8pm.

hazel

Archived