What do you miss in Sheffield that used to be here but now is gone?

Originally posted by ppn_2204

-- On the subject of Millhouses, I seem to recall a really tall slide in the playground there. It had a little wooden box thing at the top where you could stand trembling waiting for your go. Maybe it just seemed tall to me at the time.

yes there was a really, really tall slide on the play area there.

I loved Millhouses park, I spent many happy hours there as a kid.

I remember fishing for tiddlers in the sheaf, there, and falling in the river, I'd be about nine...

My mother went absolutely crackers! I was soaked to the skin, and had to make me stand all the way home on the bus, cos my backside was wet through, and i couldn't sit on the bus seat.

PT

The thing I miss most is me not being there. I left Sheffield in 1968

when I joined the RAF. and have only been back a few times since then. I've only just discovered this forum, and having spent the last hour reading through I can tell you a little nostalgia has crept in causing a little home sickness. I remember most of the things that others have mentioned, quite a few I'd forgoten about.

I don't know what has happened to the hole in the road and the giant fish tank but I can remember the hole in the road being dug.

I'm afraid that history is a thing of the past:confused:

i loved going to sheaf baths (any pics any1)

i went once for a friends birthday and being clever (or so i thought) i jumped of the top diving board on the way down my arms flew up and smacked me in the face when i came up there was blood every where what a plank.

My favourite was going to town at Christmas and looking at the lights, (better than now) then stopping at Wimpy for burger. looking in redgates windows....

I miss the view across the valley at Tinsley before the "Road in the Sky" was built - At night the bright light from the open end of Tinsley Rolling Mills fascinated by the dexterity of the men who passed the strip through the rollers - In daylight the sight of Wincobank "castle" which I often vowed to visit but never did.

coppers on pushbikes,the chestnut man in pond street,neighbours that would give you three pence for running errand. the old lady with the pinny on and hands like hams that would feed you if your mam wasnt home but would give you a clip round the ear if you were cheeky

coal fires on a winter night,tin can hand warmers,carts made from pram wheels,sneeking in the rex pictures through the back door.

football rattles,whitsuntide meetings in high hazels park,fixed wheel push bikes,working mens club trips to skeggy.

fliping the tram seats over at the terminus to go back into town,

long hot summers, water and bread and jam packed lunches for a day out in the woods,making dams on small streams,kite flying.

wrapping the hot plate out of the oven to put in a cold bed,bacon bones soup, and my mam

Archived